1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Sick Tortoise or just really sleepy?

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by Kelly C., Apr 20, 2017.

1. Kelly C.

Kelly C. New Member

My desert tortoise is between 50-60 years old (I've had him 3 years) typically if I check on him after he goes to be he'll pull in his legs or hiss if I tickle him. Tonight he didn't do anything, just laid there. He eventually started moving and when I took him out of his house he walked to get back in, but I've never seen him that sleepy.

He somehow tipped himself over about ten days ago, but been active and himself since then, so I can't tell if it's related.

Or am I just being an overly protective tortoise owner?
  2. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    when a tortoise acts like that I'm always thinking temperature. Is this an indoor or outdoor tortoise? if Outdoors what are the temperatures in your area like?
  3. Kelly C.

Kelly C. New Member

He's an outdoor guy and we are just starting a heat wave, so it was evening, but not too cold. He seemed more himself this morning, so hopefully it was just a deep sleep.
    Kenno likes this.