Should it be safe?

Andy27012

5 Year Member
I have a rose bush that blooms every year. I have my grass treated professionally however this bush is 12 inches away from the grass under weed guard. I have not treated it with anything as long as I've lived here. (Roughly two years). Do you guys think it would be safe or is it too close to potentially treated soil.

Andy27012

5 Year Member
That's what I though but I figured I would ask before writing it off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What prevents those chemicals on the lawn from leaching through 12" of damp soil over to the rose bush?
How far do you think the roots from the rose bush reach under the lawn?

Not worth the risk in my opinion.

How long have you been a tortoise keeper? Time to stop the chemicals and start scattering weed seeds all over the lawn. I get plantain, dandelion, sow thistle, thistle, burr clover, and a few others in my lawn. Good tortoise food! And free!! And so easy to get!!!

Andy27012

5 Year Member
I am scheduled to receive my first group of redfoots Tuesday. Unfortunately due to the neighborhood hoa it would be impossible to stop treating my yard. My back fenced in area where I plan to keep them has never been treated and I am planning to overseed with tortoise compatible plants in the bare future.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
a good tortoise will keep your yard clean of weeds wherever my tortoises are in my yard I have no weeds whatsoever. I wouldn't risk it either too much risk not enough gain