should i get another tortoise?

tortlover5m

Location (City and/or State)
uk
I know I've had pickles, my red footed tortoise for only a few months , but i would really like another tortoise. I would like another red foot but I don't know if pickles would get along with the tortoise? :confused: what do you think?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
2tortoises equals 2 enclosures. Tortoises are not social animals. They are territorial and seldom get along, especially in pairs. If you want another one you should get another, but put them in separate enclosures.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The short answer is no.

That said, if you have the space for two separate encloses, and the time to give them attention, just admit that you are powerless over your addiction and get another.

I look back on the days when I kept only two animals as the last days of sanity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfooted tortoises are the exception to the rule. They seem to do ok in multiples. What everyone said up above is correct, though. In my opinion, if you want another tortoise, don't get one, get two. Three RF tortoises would do much better together than two. Just be sure to keep them in a very large habitat. Don't crowd them into something small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just keep in mind that your existing tortoise is not pining away for companionship. If you want another tortoise, don't do it because you think your tortoise wants a friend, because he doesn't.

tortlover5m

uk
thanks for the replies, I think I will stick with one tortoise for now...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yvonne is correct in my opinion and in my experience one is great and more than two works well. Two is not very good. Also, Just one male at a time. (Redfoot)