Should I board my Sulcata?

Jany

Hello,
My husband and I are going out of town for a week. We are wondering what is the best way to ensure our sulcata stays safe and well while we are away. Should we board it? If so, are there any recommended boarding places in the Orlando area? We have a large yard 1/3 acres, where she seems very confortable and happy eating from the weeds in our lawn plus the additional food we provide. We are unsure what would be the best, least stressful option for it to remain happy and well while we are away. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The best thing would be to pay someone to come over two times a day, morning and evening, to check on the tortoise, and leave him home in his own yard.

Jany

The best thing would be to pay someone to come over two times a day, morning and evening, to check on the tortoise, and leave him home in his own yard.
We are fairly new to the area and don't really have anyone we trust like that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
My husband and I are going out of town for a week. We are wondering what is the best way to ensure our sulcata stays safe and well while we are away. Should we board it? If so, are there any recommended boarding places in the Orlando area? We have a large yard 1/3 acres, where she seems very confortable and happy eating from the weeds in our lawn plus the additional food we provide. We are unsure what would be the best, least stressful option for it to remain happy and well while we are away. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

The tortoise needs to stay in its own environment. It is comfortable there and knows where the food water and shelter are. Its not like a dog that can go stay at a kennel for a week.

It would be good to have someone stopping by to check on your house anyway. The person doesn't need to go inside. They'd just need to check on the tortoise. Sounds like there is enough food around, and the tortoise can go a week with no water, especially in your area, so the person would only have to stop by in the evening to make sure the tortoise made it into its night box.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Leave your tortoise at home. When Charlie was little and in an enclosed chamber, I boarded him once. I left fresh food, but I don't know if he got it. The last time I boarded my cat, there was a tortoise roaming around. Someone was remodeling their home and left it there for an extended period of time. From what I could see, no one knew how to care for him.

We've gone away for more than a month and left Charlie in the backyard. Someone came to check on him every few days and filled up his water. During the summer, he doesn't use his nightbox. He pretty much takes care of himself. How big is your tortoise?

Jany

Leave your tortoise at home. When Charlie was little and in an enclosed chamber, I boarded him once. I left fresh food, but I don't know if he got it. The last time I boarded my cat, there was a tortoise roaming around. Someone was remodeling their home and left it there for an extended period of time. From what I could see, no one knew how to care for him.

We've gone away for more than a month and left Charlie in the backyard. Someone came to check on him every few days and filled up his water. During the summer, he doesn't use his nightbox. He pretty much takes care of himself. How big is your tortoise?

Attachments

• 20170426_175547.jpg
    20170426_175547.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20170327_142715.jpg
    20170327_142715.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Jany

That is Leah . She hasn't been using her nightbox lately, except one very rainy day a week ago.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
That is Leah . She hasn't been using her nightbox lately, except one very rainy day a week ago.
Charlie used his last night. I was surprised, I thought he was done for the summer. It got down to 57 last night. If we went away during the winter, I would need to have someone check to make sure he made it into his nightbox. If he doesn't, it takes at least two people to move him. During the summer, he has plenty of food and can sleep anywhere.

Jany

Charlie used his last night. I was surprised, I thought he was done for the summer. It got down to 57 last night. If we went away during the winter, I would need to have someone check to make sure he made it into his nightbox. If he doesn't, it takes at least two people to move him. During the summer, he has plenty of food and can sleep anywhere.
Wow! Takes two people? How big is he?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Find someone to housesit... try trusted housesitter... I work with them, and it's great for everyone involved.

Jamie