Should I be worried about my new Russian tortoise?

RussianRoulette

I purchased A Russian yesterday. Believed to be 12-15months old, two and six eighths of an inch long. I have no means of weighing him at this moment in time.
Basically there are a few concerns I have about his health. He seems rather lethargic and I noticed this morning a clicking when breathing.
I've kept an eye on him all day and he hasn't done this since but I know this is generally a symptom of respiratory infection. He also hasn't eaten a great deal since I've had him, which from experience with my other youngsters seems unusual.
Also his belly sounds like it's gurgling and as though he is passing gas, his stool this morning was almost entirely undigested.

Could this just be stress from moving to a new home and a change of diet or should I be concerned?
What should I look out for as cause for more concern?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
With a young Russian I would follow Tom's guidelines on raising Russians.

Use the search option to find Tom's guidelines.

Keep your temperatures warm and your enclosure humid will be a good start.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
It is normal for them to be stressed after moving and maybe have loose stools. It can take a while to settle. However, the clicking you described when breathing, I'm not sure, hopefully someone else can advise you on that

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Welcome to TFO! Nothing to worry about until you start seeing a runny nose, keep the temps up (this helps in digestion)... Probably from this stress going on... Good luck :D

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Welcome. Sounds normal but keep close tabs on him for any changes.

RussianRoulette

Thanks all for the replies. He seems a bit more lively today, I guess he just needs some time to settle in and get used to his new surroundings.