Shipping tortoises...

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
I'm new here,not new to reptiles though.

But shipping tortoises seems a bit harsh to me. I don't plan on buying one,especially if it needs to be shipped.

But I'm curious as to why ,and how, one would ship a tort if they're so concerned about its well being etc...

Thanks

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I'm interested in this as well. Not so much proper shipping through an authorized handler, but in the, apparently common, practice of mailing them. Shocked me too, when I first read about it.

It's only an inflammatory question if you choose to take it that way. Which is another question entirely.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Depending on the Tortoises' value, they can be shipped safely via DELTA DASH or FEDEX. We have shipped numerous tortoises across the country will no problems. We are very careful about time of year, weather, etc. We no longer ship door to door, If being shipped Delta, must go to the closest airport, If FEDEX, we ship to the closest FEDEX location to buyer for pickup, no riding in the back of the truck where temp. will be a problem.

Reactions: Rue

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We no longer ship door to door, If being shipped Delta, must go to the closest airport, If FEDEX, we ship to the closest FEDEX location to buyer for pickup, no riding in the back of the truck where temp. will be a problem.

That's good to know!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I ship hatchling because that is the only way to get them to buyers. I monitor temps closely and use an insulated box with heat pack when needed.
They are shipped overnight priority, so I box them up at 5 PM and they are usually delivered by 10:30 AM the next day.
It makes me nervous and I worry everytime, but take every precaution available.

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
It is both safe and necessary as a whole. So implying that shipping an animals equates to not caring about its well-being is unfounded and inflammatory.

I didn't imply ,or try to inflame a thing. You took it that way. Don't be so sensitive.
I just asked a question...

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I didn't imply ,or try to inflame a thing. You took it that way. Don't be so sensitive.
I just asked a question...
I wanted to say the same thing but couldn't think of the words ! We are here to answer your questions nicely ! I'm sorry but some are here to start arguments , not to help ! Have a great day !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

But shipping tortoises seems a bit harsh to me. I don't plan on buying one,especially if it needs to be shipped.

But I'm curious as to why ,and how, one would ship a tort if they're so concerned about its well being etc...

Thanks

How many have you shipped, and what were your results? Any problems encountered?

I'm wondering why it "seems harsh" to you. Did you have a bad experience?

What Brian is questioning is the implication in your last sentence. Your sentence implies that shipping is somehow not good for a tortoise and you are questioning why and how someone would do that if they are so concerned with the animal's well being.

I am very concerned with the health and well being of any and all torts that I buy or sell. I've shipped them out and had them shipped to me. They are properly packed and every effort is made to keep them safe and comfortable. I have sent and received dozens of reptiles, to include tortoises, through FedEx, UPS and Delta, and I have never once encountered any issue whatsoever. All of those animals have grown up perfectly healthy and some are now making their own babies that will likely be shipped.

As a person who is regularly accused of being harsh, blunt, and/or lacking diplomacy, I recognize the same things in others statements. I also think the implications in the way you worded your question were inflammatory. Perhaps "accusatory" might be a better description. And I am not a sensitive person.

A non-infammatory, non-accusatory way to phrase your questions would have been: "How are tortoises packed for shipping? Does any harm come to them during the shipping process?" The way you worded it implies that harm does come to them and that people who ship don't care about their animals, which is false on both counts.

I'm not mad. Just explaining and having calm tortoise conversation… :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
How many have you shipped, and what were your results? Any problems encountered?

What Brian is questioning is the implication in your last sentence. Your sentence implies that shipping is somehow not good for a tortoise and you are questioning why and how someone would do that if they are so concerned with the animal's well being.

I am very concerned with the health and well being of any and all torts that I buy or sell. I've shipped them out and had them shipped to me. They are properly packed and every effort is made to keep them safe and comfortable. I have sent and received dozens of reptiles, to include tortoises, through FedEx, UPS and Delta, and I have never once encountered any issue whatsoever. All of those animals have grown up perfectly healthy and some are now making their own babies that will likely be shipped.

As a person who is regularly accused of being harsh, blunt, and/or lacking diplomacy, I recognize the same things in others statements. I also think the implications in the way you worded your question were inflammatory. Perhaps "accusatory" might be a better description. And I am not a sensitive person.

A non-infammatory, non-accusatory way to phrase your questions would have been: "How are tortoises packed for shipping? Does any harm come to them during the shipping process?" The way you worded it implies that harm does come to them and that people who ship don't care about their animals, which is false on both counts.

@Tom you did a great job at trying to educate , and that's what we do !
Thank you !

Eatapeach

5 Year Member

I respect your reply...and the tort in your profile pic is absolutely beautiful btw.

FWIW-I have never been accused of being harsh,blunt, asccusatory or lacking diplomacy. And if I was here,it wasn't intended.
I still think people need to lighten up a bit.

No I've never shipped or received. That's one reason I asked was to be informed. With that said I Have no intention of shipping/receiving live animals through the mail....I didn't imply shipping is bad,I assumed it was,there for my initial question.
But,How would it be a good thing?

I guess shipping a tortoise,or any animal strikes me as counter productive to the animals well being. Sure it's been done successfully,many times even. I just don't think it's a good thing.
I guess it just strikes me in an odd way when all I've read here is things to do to minimize stress etc. But boxing them up and handing them over to the shipping apes to make a buck is ok ???

Brian said " it's nessecary". Is it? Sell local,or within driving distance.. Shipping across country isn't something I'd subject any animal to.
✌️

Reactions: Rue

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
What is it you do, other than listening to the Allman Brothers. Shipping is part of the business side of being a reptile hobbyist. Best you not keep any, because there will come a time when you will have to sell offspring, or ship to a new owner when someone local is not an option. You've poked the bear here and a few feathers have gone up. Just so i understand, you would be willing to drive 4 hours to drop off or pick up a 50$ Sulcata?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I wanted to say the same thing but couldn't think of the words ! We are here to answer your questions nicely ! I'm sorry but some are here to start arguments , not to help ! Have a great day !
Only if you take it that way, right? Who would do such a thing if they're "so concerned"?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Thanks

It is written by you and you talk about "if they're so concerned" yet you indicate this is not a thing you would do. So, what exactly are you aiming at, or is this just awkward syntax? I don't always use the best sentence structure myself, but as it is written you sound a bit like you are baiting for a conflict, "trolling" as they say.

Shipping is safe, many millions of animals are shipped/year with few actual problems. I am always a bit tense when animals are in transit, and find great relief when the person receiving the animal alerts me that they arrived and the animals are okay.

The frequency of reptiles being shipped is so high that three FedEx consolidators are supported in the USA alone. Plus airlines that routinely take animals as cargo as direct service providers.

Zoo's, Aqauriums, and private breeders/pet owners all over the world move animals via personal carrier, airlines, and shippers. Concern is not replaced by the opportunity to ship, but it is a reasonable safe and good way to move animals.

I am 'concerned' with myself in a daily commute. Concern is good and what all responsible shippers have.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I respect your reply...and the tort in your profile pic is absolutely beautiful btw.

FWIW-I have never been accused of being harsh,blunt, asccusatory or lacking diplomacy. And if I was here,it wasn't intended.
I still think people need to lighten up a bit.

No I've never shipped or received. That's one reason I asked was to be informed. With that said I Have no intention of shipping/receiving live animals through the mail....I didn't imply shipping is bad,I assumed it was,there for my initial question.
But,How would it be a good thing?

I guess shipping a tortoise,or any animal strikes me as counter productive to the animals well being. Sure it's been done successfully,many times even. I just don't think it's a good thing.
I guess it just strikes me in an odd way when all I've read here is things to do to minimize stress etc. But boxing them up and handing them over to the shipping apes to make a buck is ok ???

Brian said " it's nessecary". Is it? Sell local,or within driving distance.. Shipping across country isn't something I'd subject any animal to.
✌️
This guy is great at putting that insulting edge on a question, hey?

Yes, NECESSARY. Some animals only hope to remain on the planet is in private collections and zoos. To get across country in an affordable manner with regularity, shipping must be done. The alternative is genetic bottlenecks, inbreeding and finally extinction in the hobby, if not the planet. Now, in the same tone as the OP, I will say this: your opinion just doesn't mean anything in this case as I see it. I wouldn't subject other hobbyists to it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here it is in a nutshell:

I had several clutches of leopard tortoise babies to sell. I was able to locally sell a clutch for $100 a baby. The next clutch didn't sell readily, so I lowered the price (still locally) to $85 a baby. By the time I was down to the last baby, I was giving them away for free because there just isn't a market for tortoises here where I live.

Now my tortoise partner who lives in San Diego, comes up two times a year and gets the babies to take home with him to sell. He advertised nationally and is able to sell them all within a week or so of getting them.

Selling the babies helps defer the costs of operating my tortoise rescue.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Here it is in a nutshell:

I had several clutches of leopard tortoise babies to sell. I was able to locally sell a clutch for $100 a baby. The next clutch didn't sell readily, so I lowered the price (still locally) to $85 a baby. By the time I was down to the last baby, I was giving them away for free because there just isn't a market for tortoises here where I live.

Now my tortoise partner who lives in San Diego, comes up two times a year and gets the babies to take home with him to sell. He advertised nationally and is able to sell them all within a week or so of getting them.

Selling the babies helps defer the costs of operating my tortoise rescue.
Diversify... turtle soup! :oops:

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
What is it you do, other than listening to the Allman Brothers. Shipping is part of the business side of being a reptile hobbyist. Best you not keep any, because there will come a time when you will have to sell offspring, or ship to a new owner when someone local is not an option. You've poked the bear here and a few feathers have gone up. Just so i understand, you would be willing to drive 4 hours to drop off or pick up a 50$ Sulcata?

If I wanted to be sensitive I'd say your first line is sort of snarky. How's that relevant to anything...
For what it's worth I'm doing a change of career at 51. School FT and two PT jobs. Butcher to barber. So now that's out of the way..

I have no intention of breeding etc,so shipping isn't something I personally need to do. So I guess it's safe to keep my red foot.
BTW--I've driven 6 hrs one way,while on a chemo pump for less than a $50 tort. So,yes, I would.

It is written by you and you talk about "if they're so concerned" yet you indicate this is not a thing you would do. So, what exactly are you aiming at, or is this just awkward syntax? I don't always use the best sentence structure myself, but as it is written you sound a bit like you are baiting for a conflict, "trolling" as they say.

Shipping is safe, many millions of animals are shipped/year with few actual problems. I am always a bit tense when animals are in transit, and find great relief when the person receiving the animal alerts me that they arrived and the animals are okay.

The frequency of reptiles being shipped is so high that three FedEx consolidators are supported in the USA alone. Plus airlines that routinely take animals as cargo as direct service providers.

Zoo's, Aqauriums, and private breeders/pet owners all over the world move animals via personal carrier, airlines, and shippers. Concern is not replaced by the opportunity to ship, but it is a reasonable safe and good way to move animals.

I am 'concerned' with myself in a daily commute. Concern is good and what all responsible shippers have.

I wasn't baiting or trolling at all. I'm sorry it was taken that way. Maybe taking out the word " so" could have helped? I'll still say if people weren't so sensitive it wouldn't have been taken that way.

Have you seen how " concerned" shippers are????? It's crazy how they throw things around etc... You said yourself,you're always " tense" and "find great relief"....Why would you feel that way if it was so safe and done frequently? Imagine how the tort feels bouncing around.
If people want to ship, and hope it all goes well,that's on them. Just not my thing, and I was only asking how it's done,and why someone would do it. It just seemed contrary to keeping its life stress free,but to sell one we can excuse that stress to make a dollar. I get it now.

I didn't want or intend to start any animosity as Inenjoy this site. Very informative.
Almost sorry I brought it up....

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
I was thinking...
So just to understand...
You wouldn't drive four hrs for a $50 sulcata? And Since we're big on implications in this thread-- you would drive for a more expensive tort? So you're willing to ship and maybe take a loss on a less expensive one? So that concern is for convenience,and not the tort?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Imagine how the tort feels bouncing around.
If people want to ship, and hope it all goes well,that's on them. Just not my thing, and I was only asking how it's done,and why someone would do it. It just seemed contrary to keeping its life stress free,but to sell one we can excuse that stress to make a dollar. I get it now.

The above is the offensive part. You are jumping to conclusions and making all sorts of incorrect assumptions. What makes you think the tortoise is stressed or somehow being harmed by overnight shipping? You are anthropomorphizing because you would feel stressed if someone put you in a box and overnight shipped you. What makes you think a tortoise would feel that way? Once the sun goes down they become inactive and go to sleep. They don't care if they are sleeping in their enclosure or in a moving box.

In between my last post and this one, I left to take some baby tortoises across town to two buyers. I took them out of their enclosure, soaked them, rinsed them, and put them in a plastic shoe box. I put the plastic shoe box on the seat of my car and drove down a bumpy dirt road and then across town. The babies were so completely unstressed by the whole process that all they did was munch on their mulberry leaves the entire time. Stopping, starting, taking turns, I seemed to hit every single red light all the way there. As the box jostled around over bumps and turns and as I accelerated and decelerated, the tortoises did not care one bit. They just grazed as if nothing was happening. I wanted to video it just to show you on this thread, but it would not have been safe to do that while driving by myself. Appetite is the first thing to go when an animal is stressed, so I think you might have the wrong idea about how a tortoise feels about being shipped.