Shipping Questions-Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I just contacted DHL and Fed Ex for a 2 lbs, 18x12x12 inch box, next day delivery from (zip code) 92346 to 08088, I am getting a quote of approx. $100.00 That seems really steep. Who do you all use and how can I cut those costs? Thanks for your help in advance.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Robyn what are you shipping that requires that big of a box.. yet still weighs only 2 lbs.?

I've used DHL over 150 times since '03.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'd try a smaller box and also make sure when your shipping overnight DHL that you want the package to arrive by 3PM and not 10:30AM. That really makes a difference in the shipping cost. Many times the package will arrive a couple hours before the 3PM deadline.

I always ship DHL.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would like to suggest that if you are shipping down south that you spring for the extra money for an earlier arrival. Now I don't follow the weather else where in the country but in south west Florida its getting up in the mid 80s. everyday. Im sure inside a box inside a truck the temps could get even higher.

Research the weather for not only the shipping city and the destination city but also the routing city.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Robyn,
To get the cheaper rates you need to get an account with DHL. It just amazes me what they charge non account holders for shipping.
The box I just sent Anja and Kelly was 5lbs and they charged me $48.78 with all the surcharges.

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I just got my to russians a couple of weeks ago through DHL from Nay and it was 86.00. Call a couple of times, I found I got a different price each time. But definatly sign up for an account it is definatly cheaper that way.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cool im getting 4 russians shipped monday to houston and its before noon (DHL). Thanks for your question crazy i also had the same question.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ok, I need and want to thank everyone who answered my questions and especially to RedFoot Nerd (Terry) whom gave me great advice and had a very nice conversation with and for Danny for his post on shipping. I sent Squirt to Dee from CA to NJ. She made it there this morning and in fine shape. She was shipped UPS as I found DHLs nearest Hub is over an hour from me. UPS does ship Torts and turtles but only from their Hubs, Not the UPS stores. Make sure you have the paperwork from the internet that states they ship Reptiles. I went round and round with them but finally spoke to a supervisor who at first said I couldn’t ship her because they don’t ship mammals. I told him to look above that and under the approved animals to ship and Reptiles especially turtles and torts were approved. He finally affirmed they do ship Torts. So off she went at 6:30 last night and arrived there at 10:20 this morning. Cost wasn’t too bad about $63.00 plus I did pay an extra $7.00 to get her their by noon. So the total was about $70. The cost of gas has gone up so expect your shipping costs to be going up some. Per all the carriers I spoke with which was UPS, FedEx and DHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.