shell? small ridge forming

fireshadow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Having concerns about my red foots shell. You can feel a ridge. I moved him into a humidified room with the snakes, but even when I spray him down he seems to dry off fairly fast. Another concern is how much he's eating. He seems to stay hidden, or knock his hide so that he might trap himself in there? I just use those pvc disks that go under pots, but I cut a hole in it and have them stacked so they are lifted up a bit and he can get under them. I'll be getting pvc pipe cut in half soon to resolve this. But how much should he be eating? I'll put lots in with him each morning, and lots seems to go to waste. I'm worried the ridge is from either humidity or not eating enough? Or perhaps growth that is just showing now from before I got him. Or is that ridge normal? I'm used to having snakes and being able to read them almost immediately if they are needing something, rather then having a tort basically have permanent reminder of not having something it may have needed. 20151010_093738.jpg 20151010_093730.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Having concerns about my red foots shell. You can feel a ridge. I moved him into a humidified room with the snakes, but even when I spray him down he seems to dry off fairly fast. Another concern is how much he's eating. He seems to stay hidden, or knock his hide so that he might trap himself in there? I just use those pvc disks that go under pots, but I cut a hole in it and have them stacked so they are lifted up a bit and he can get under them. I'll be getting pvc pipe cut in half soon to resolve this. But how much should he be eating? I'll put lots in with him each morning, and lots seems to go to waste. I'm worried the ridge is from either humidity or not eating enough? Or perhaps growth that is just showing now from before I got him. Or is that ridge normal? I'm used to having snakes and being able to read them almost immediately if they are needing something, rather then having a tort basically have permanent reminder of not having something it may have needed. View attachment 151795 View attachment 151796

You can offer a pile of food that is equal in size to the entire tortoise...I the food is eaten quickly then add a little...if the food is not eaten then you can decrease a little...I personally see a lovely little tort with growth lines...perhaps my bump will put you back to the top of the list for additional input..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see anything wrong with the shell. To try and keep him in a more moist environment, buy some sphagnum moss, moisten it then pack it into the hiding place. Keep it moist as it dries out. Every night, push the baby into the moss to hide.