Shell rot?

Lillyoshea

Hi, does my red foot have shell rot? I noticed two white spots on the top of her shell a while ago but I just thought they were growth spots, then I noticed it developing in the middle of her shell. I googled shell rot and it looks similar to some of the pictures I've seen.

There's no smell to it, no discharge like it says online. But I can scrape stuff off the spot in the middle but none of the other ones. I keep her cage clean, the humidity is around 80-90, and her substrate is damp but not wet. The temps are 30 degrees in her hotspot then she has a cool end around 20. If any of that helps. If it shell rot how can I treat it or its it to far gone and worth a trip to the vets? Thank you in advanced :)

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    943.4 KB · Views: 49

j_caouette

It looks like shell rot but not certain. Try using a tooth brush and gentle brush it to see if it comes off then you can treat it with Betadine but only once then, then use a fungal cream for the rest of the treatment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RF are prone to shell rot. They need a high humidity but while keeping the top layer of substrate dry. They do not usually get shell rot on the top shell, only the bottom. Keep him on a dry substrate and treat as stated.

Lillyoshea

It looks like shell rot but not certain. Try using a tooth brush and gentle brush it to see if it comes off then you can treat it with Betadine but only once then, then use a fungal cream for the rest of the treatment.

Will do! So do I apply it wait, and then wash it off? :)

Lillyoshea

RF are prone to shell rot. They need a high humidity but while keeping the top layer of substrate dry. They do not usually get shell rot on the top shell, only the bottom. Keep him on a dry substrate and treat as stated.

She's currently on coco coir and half cypress mulch, I have a humid hide with sphagnum moss with coco coir, the moss is damp so would it be best to dry it out and put it back in? I should have been more clear I meant the top of her bottom shell or carapace? haha Her top shell however is fine. :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Also you can betadine as powder, liquid and cream what would be best? :)
Just wipe it down with Betadine swab (with LIQUID betadine) one time. Let it dry then apply antifungal cream you can just get a tube at dollar store (look for athletes foot cream) it's got exactly same active ingredient that all the others do. From your pic I couldn't really tell if it's shell rot or some kind of stain. I'd try wipping them off with clean wet rag and see if there's any soft / crumbly spots there. If it feels firm like your tooth enamel... it may not be the shell rot. If you could get better focused close up pics looking straight down and at different angles, we'd have better idea, but really all this trouble maybe a pot more than just treating it. If it's shell rot you should see improvement. Don't use betadine more that that one time, it inhibits tissue growth

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can put some dry moss on top of the damp moss. Put wood chips on top of the coir. When you need to set things to bring up humidity, pour warm water into the corners so it goes to the bottom and dampens things from the bottom.

Lillyoshea

Just wipe it down with Betadine swab (with LIQUID betadine) one time. Let it dry then apply antifungal cream you can just get a tube at dollar store (look for athletes foot cream) it's got exactly same active ingredient that all the others do. From your pic I couldn't really tell if it's shell rot or some kind of stain. I'd try wipping them off with clean wet rag and see if there's any soft / crumbly spots there. If it feels firm like your tooth enamel... it may not be the shell rot. If you could get better focused close up pics looking straight down and at different angles, we'd have better idea, but really all this trouble maybe a pot more than just treating it. If it's shell rot you should see improvement. Don't use betadine more that that one time, it inhibits tissue growth

I tried wiping them, and I got some of it off the middle one. I scraped the one the top right and it did start crumbling off and I wouldn't say that it's extremely soft but I can't see the indent of my finger nail when I press it. I will take some more pictures now.

Lillyoshea

You can put some dry moss on top of the damp moss. Put wood chips on top of the coir. When you need to set things to bring up humidity, pour warm water into the corners so it goes to the bottom and dampens things from the bottom.

Would cypress mulch be okay on top of coco coir? Or actual wood chips? And she has humid hide box it's damp in there, should I take it out and let it dry? :)

Lillyoshea

Turns out my camera on my phone isn't any good at close ups! Sorry! And Marceline didn't like it very much either haha :p

Attachments

• IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    642 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2416.JPG
    IMG_2416.JPG
    621.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2415.JPG
    IMG_2415.JPG
    591.3 KB · Views: 20

Lillyoshea

By the way I'm not sure if you can tell, but on the very first picture I uploaded the top patches at the top were yellowy and when I scraped some off today it was white underneath.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, the mulch would be fine too. As for the hide you can either take out the damp stuff or put dry on top. I would treat her as instructed. It is either shell rot of another type of fungus.

Lillyoshea

How will I know when then fungus has gone, and after treatment do I clean her cage out? Thank you! :)