Shell Rot

Megan101

I have a Cherry head red foot tortoise it's not quite a year old, today I noticed a small discoloured part on the bottom of its shell, I tried to scrub it off gently with a toothbrush but nothing seemed to happen, hopefully you will be able to determine if this is abnormal I'm only a beginner so please help (it's near the middle of the shell hopefully you can see what I'm talking about)IMG_5393.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure where it is you are worried about. However, keep the top layer of substrate dry while still keeping up the humidity. Do this by adding the warm water to the corners or spraying the sides not the top layer of substrate. As for the spot your worried about, try some antifungal on it like what they sell for athletes foot

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The marks are strangely uniformed on both sides of the center. I believe that it's more likely a scrape from walking across a flat, hard object and not at all fungus.
However, if you apply some athletes foot cream on the areas, it will either cure the fungus or do no harm, if it isn't fungus.

Megan101

I'm not sure where it is you are worried about. However, keep the top layer of substrate dry while still keeping up the humidity. Do this by adding the warm water to the corners or spraying the sides not the top layer of substrate. As for the spot your worried about, try some antifungal on it like what they sell for athletes foot

Thxs for your suggestions your life savers I love my little guy sm, I feel like a concerned parent, but thanks again[/QUOTE]

Megan101

The marks are strangely uniformed on both sides of the center. I believe that it's more likely a scrape from walking across a flat, hard object and not at all fungus.
However, if you apply some athletes foot cream on the areas, it will either cure the fungus or do no harm, if it isn't fungus.
thank you sm