Shell Rot?

JasonTort

Hey tortoise experts

I just got a Russian tortoise from petco. She is about 4-ish months old and is such an awesome little creature.

I have 10 cats, 2 dogs, two bearded dragons, and a leopard gecko, and I spend all of my time taking care of my pet family members! I know so much about cats and dogs, and am learning about bearded dragons and geckos, but I know so little about tortoises! All I know is I will put my all into making sure she is healthy and happy, which is why I started this thread.

Vassalisa (her Russian name lol) has a few chalky, white, kind of dusty grainy patches on her shell and I want to make sure this isnt some kind of infection or shell rot or something like that. I absolutely do not want her to be in pain and want my little tort to be a happy, healthy girl. I uploaded a few pictures, can any of the tortoise experts help her out? Thanks a bunch!

20161220_105646.jpg
20161220_105711.jpg 20161220_112802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
This tortoise is much older than 4 months.

Have you tried soaking and gently scrubbing the carapace?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jason, and welcome to the Forum!

No, you don't have to worry about shell rot on the carapace. Shell rot happens when a tortoise sits on something wet, wet substrate, wet poop or pee, etc. In other words, it happens on the bottom shell (plastron). Scratches on the carapace, especially on wild caught Russian tortoises like yours, are from the poor handling they got while being captured and boxed up to ship overseas. They are piled one on top of the other in great bins of hundreds of tortoises. By the time they get to their destination they look pretty rough.

Just for your own information, tortoises sold at U.S. pet stores like Petco, have to be at least 4" in order to comply with the law. In order for a Russian tortoise to have reached 4" in his lifetime, he's more than likely about 8 or 10 years old. The clerks at the pet stores think that because the tortoise is small it must be young. Russian tortoises are a small species. He's not that young.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention that male Russian tortoises' plastrons do not concave, they are flat - males and females. The only way to tell male from female Russian tortoises is by the tail. A big fat tail = male. A smallish tail = female.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
If it's the look that concerns you, you could use some water and a sponge to wipe the area. maybe use a dab of vegetable oil on a rag and the areas will pretty much disappear.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Please check out the Russian section for some great care info. Is that a red bulb that you are using?

JasonTort

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies!

Yes. the bulb is an infrared because the lady at petco said it would be good to use on her. I feel like she was wrong though because she said they do not need a UVB... but the more I researched I noticed that they DO need one. So I got one! She is pretty small, about the size of my hand. I really dont care about how she looks, just as long as she is healthy and not in any pain or danger. She is currently in a 40 gallon tank until I can get her into a 150 gallon rubbermaid. Walnut substrate, a UVB reptisun 10.0, an infrared light (petco lady said to use it), and plenty of water and food.

You guys are the experts, Im all ears and will take any suggestions! I want her to be a happy tort

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Before you buy anything else (what she told you is all wrong) take a look at this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I'm willing to bet that the UVB bulb you bought is one of those curly shaped compact fluorescent bulbs. Is it this one:

2214141-center-1

They're no good. Besides possibly harming the tortoise's eyes, they provide very little UVB. Pet stores don't usually carry the good UVB bulbs. I buy mine off amazon.

mercury vapor bulb.jpg UVB light.jpg

Personally, I like the one on the left because it provides UVB and heat all in one fixture. But they're both good bulbs. You don't need both, just one or the other.

Also, don't use the walnut bedding. Walnut shells are harmful if ingested, and believe me, they will be ingested. Not on purpose, but because they are such messy eaters. They walk through the food and get bedding all over the food, it sticks and they eat it.

I like orchid bark, but quite a few on here use coco coir. You can buy that in compressed bricks at pet stores.

JasonTort

oh wow, im so freakin glad I came on here! yes I bought that bulb, I will buy the better bulb today, I cant believe how little petco knows about the animals they sell... what a shame. I will change her vivarium to the proper environment according to the thread. Thanks to you all! I am all ears

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so glad you're willing to listen to us. Many times a new member comes with preconceived ideas and argues with us. We have no axe to grind here. We just want you to be able to take the best care possible of your new animal.

JasonTort

No problem, I do not believe in animal abuse and it is my responsibility to make sure this tortoise gets all the care in the world. I feel I have a LOT of work to do and plenty of things to UNdo from what petco told me to do. I feel like my little tortoise is in a dungeon right now and I can not bare it. Going to the store now to pick up proper substrate and UVB/basking bulbs. quite irate with petco right now...

JasonTort

OKAY! just purchased two powersun 100 watt mercury bulbs online for 67 bucks (good deal!). one for my baby beardies and one for my tort. Thank you guys so much, my conscience is clear knowing im doing good by them. they deserve the best. any other suggestions or information is always welcome. thanks so much to everyone and thank you for the link tigys dad.