Shell rot and poop question

tiffew

Hi,
My 6 month old Eastern Box Turtle is finally eating!!!! :) I spoke to the woman at boxturtlefacts website and she suggested a much smaller habitat, fake greenery and soggy moss. As soon as we made those changes he started eating a red wiggler a day. But, I have two questions....his poops have only ever been white mucous-y. Is this ok? And, can he get shell rot from a bog-like soppy moss substrate?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I don't know a whole lot about turtles... but I can tell you that the white mucous-y stuff is the urates in the pee. Poop will be a big brownish/green blob. Is the mucous stuff grainy or more like a stringy thing? Grainy means something in the diet needs to be changed. I'll let someone else answer the shell rot question as I have no clue!:)

tiffew

It's mucous-y like human mucous from a chest cold if you get what I mean. So it sounds like the turtle isn't pooping then, it's just white pee. Don't the worms he eats need to come out!!!?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Unless I am mistaken, box turtles are not a urate producing species - I also don't consider urates to be mucous like in consistency. Mucous in the stools is usually associated with internal parasites.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Unless I am mistaken, box turtles are not a urate producing species - I also don't consider urates to be mucous like in consistency. Mucous in the stools is usually associated with internal parasites.
Oh dear. That was my bad. I thought it would the pee would be the same as a tortoise. I apologize @tiffew !!!!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
If your turtie was on hunger strike for a while he may take few days to start pooping. Do you soak him? How about plant material in his diet? He needs fiber to form nice poopies

tiffew

He doesn't seem interested in fiber yet, but we are offering it. The woman at boxturtlefacts website said to stop soaking, just keep his moss soggy.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
He doesn't seem interested in fiber yet, but we are offering it. The woman at boxturtlefacts website said to stop soaking, just keep his moss soggy.
Really??? I know NOTHING about turtles, thought boxie babies would be kinda in line with baby torts... i do know they love their earthworms so it's good that yous is eating. Oh i heard another thing about them, to have a pile of moist leaf litter for them to hide in, guess it's kinda this same as moss...

Oogway the russian tort

maybe you might want to try feeding them succulents if thats ok with turtles (as I don't know a lot about box turtles) succulents have a natural laxative them will make ur turtle want to go poop