Shell Problems for Tortoise Keepers article discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
RE: Shell Problems for Tortoise Keepers

Mark, why haven't you put this in the Tortoise Librarian? It was an excellent post.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

terryo said:
Mark, why haven't you put this in the Tortoise Librarian? It was an excellent post.

Since I wrote it for the Forum, it goes here first. It'll hit the Library when I have a few minutes to putz around on the computer.

Thanks, both of you, for the nice comments!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW

Awesome Job Guys! Think I caught a typo though, think back on some of our correspondance on UV Mark :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

Balboa- thought I fixed that- must have been in another version. Thanks!

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near

Great Thread!!! I always wondered why people are so against pyramiding. Its not like it is a health issue right? I actually like the geometric look that pyramiding makes but of course I am not going to make Chevy purposely pyramid I like a smooth shell to :D

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas

Marty333 said:
Great Thread!!! I always wondered why people are so against pyramiding. Its not like it is a health issue right? I actually like the geometric look that pyramiding makes but of course I am not going to make Chevy purposely pyramid I like a smooth shell to :D

I think the consensus is that we just don't know whether or not it is a health issue. It may effect the tortoise and it may not.

Awesome post and great information Mark. Definately one of my "favorites" on my computer and I will be referring back!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

Thanks!

'Simple pyramiding', that is, pyramids with no other shell issue, SEEMS to be cosmetic and we know that the affected tortoises seem to live as long and reproduce as well.

Often, however, pyramids occur along with MBD and we see flattened, creased, collapsed, or otherwise deformed shells with the pyramids just making things worse. This is definitely a bad sign.

One thing about simple pyramiding to remember, though, is that it is a signal that we are doing something incorrectly. We do not know for sure what that 'something' is yet, and therefore we do not know if it plays other roles in a tortoise's health.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I edited the article today (11-23-2010) to better reflect new info on pyramiding, and a few minor things.

Status
Not open for further replies.