Shell not seperated

Josh howard

So I purchased a sulcata about 4 months back and he's doing great. About 8" from front to back of shell. My only concern is on the bottom at the back. The 2 scales that seperate to create a sort of v where his tale and where he poops is..are not seperated so the space from the bottom and top of shell is small. He still does have bowel movements but I can't help but feel it would be better if the scales were seperated. Are there any options?IMG_20170207_144733.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Can you post a photo of the underside of your tortoise including the tail area please so we can see what is going on

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, while seeing the overall tortoise is a good thing, and helpful, we all need to see the problem area before we can advise.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Looks like abnormal plastron/bone growth where there shouldn't be any. Likely will become a problem if it hasn't already. Under anesthesia, I think that section of plastron needs to removed. If that is done, no way to predict if it will grow back in that location.

Josh howard

It almost looks like that section has grown the opposite direction it should have. I'll have to check with a vet to see what would be involved to remove that area.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Oh man! I didn't expect to see that! What's involved in dealing with this malformation? Definitely pretty significant surgical intervention under anesthetic which i assume comes with pretty substantial cost, unless you find vet school close by where they'd like to take the case to study it... not sure if this gets done that way in vet medicine world like it at times does in human medicine research or learning facilities. I'd get the best reptile vet that's available in the area, one with some surgical reptile experience and take care of this before you get into all kinds of obstruction related problems. Our veterinarian forum members are your best resources for that. I will only keep my fingers (and toes!) crossed for you and your Cutie, and start sending all kinds of good joojoo your way. I wish i could do more... Wishing you best of luck. Please keep us posted.