Shell is turning white

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid the turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Green Bay
My daughter got Sid as a Birhtday gift. Now his shell is turning white...whats up with that? I called the vet and he said its probably a fungal infection and too gently scrub his shell with a toothbrush and put athlete's foot cream on it. Tell me what you think. Is the vet right or do I need to bring him in?

He's eating, drinking, and doing all of his business as usual.View attachment 539

Last edited by a moderator:

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hey no, dude, don't listen to that vet! He doesn't know a thing! That is normal coloring that happens to some Red-Foots, especially Cherryheads, I beleive! I'm sure Terry can post you many pics of this on RF's he's dealt with! It's not fungal or anything, just part of that tortoise's normal shell growth and coloring. Some people especially look for RF's with this on them! You got lucky, IMHO!!! Gorgeous looking sweetie!

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm not an expert, but I've been reading up on torts for the past couple weeks and have seen lots of photos :) Hah, for what that is worth, I guess.

I believe that is just some coloration. As tortoises become more mature, they're color patterns may change slightly. I suspect this "white" or lightened area is just a stage of maturing. I think it looks awesome, myself.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
That looks like growth sign to me too. My leopard tort is showing the same thing;)

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i agree it looks like growth

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hope this doesn't "wear-anybody-out" with pics - here goes -

"Southern" redfoot tortoises.. AKA "Brazilians" & "Cherryheads" have basic characteristics [ yikes.. how many sillybulls is that ? ]

1) Red on head.. 2) Big cherry nose.. 3) Dark marbled plastron [ belly ]

Sometimes.. not very often.. they have a "marbled" carapace [ top shell ].. and Kelly is right - this is very desirable among "Cherryhead" lovers!

So Sid is not a common redfoot. [ be sure to read thru the redfoots.com site in my signature.. for Housing and especially address the Diet for yearlings ]

Being a breeder of redfoots.. so I've heard.. I'll be starting a "Marbled" Cherryhead breeding program this year. These are 2 that will be a part.

This is a MALE Feb. '05 hatchling.. at 18 months.. starting to show "marbling"..

ACHERRYPROFILE.jpg

ACHERRYCHERRY.jpg

At 2 years..

A1Jan05Brazilian.jpg

AFeb05TL.jpg

And plastron at 3 years..

A05MARBLEP.jpg

Last summer a friend of mine found this 3 yr. old FEMALE for me.. a real beauty..

AAugust07Cherryhead.jpg

ALILMarbleGirlII.jpg

And her plastron..

ALILMarblePlastron.jpg

There is a 'proven' pair [ has produced babies ] and another March '05 Female in the group also.

Sooooooo it IS growth.. but NOT common.. Sid will most likely get worse..
36_10_1.gif
.. a GOOD thing!

What is Sid's length? measure like so.. [ 3 1/4" shown ]..

ASCL-1.jpg

susan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, Ca.
I, for one, could never get tired of looking at pictures!!! I love to see turtles and tortoises!! And redfoots are some of my favorites though I have never had one. I have thought alot about getting one for sure!! These pictures are great! And oh my what lovely tortoises you have!!!!!!!! Very impressive!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
what an interesting variation! i wonder what causes it... terry, those photos are great!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
They say usually it's about 4" at one year old, so he's just a smidgen older than that, likely! Nice and young!

sid the turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Green Bay
cvalda said:
They say usually it's about 4" at one year old, so he's just a smidgen older than that, likely! Nice and young!

You guys have been so helpfull. I dont know what I'd do without all of you..well I guess I do...Probably have a huge vet bill...haha

Status
Not open for further replies.