Shell growth (pyramiding)

Volspa

Hey everyone, just looking for some advice for Rex my 2 3/4 yr old.
Due to a move he had to spend about 6months at my parents house, when I got him back he appeared to be pyramiding slightly. I've had him in a new enclosure since February and I think his shell feels smoother but am worried about the indents on his sides. My other concern is that he doesn't seem to stand upright on his back legs (when he walks he almost pushes them out backwards and always seems lower at the back)
Am concerned that these are signs of MBD just looking for some advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    957.9 KB · Views: 59

TheSulcata

And are you taking him outside? They need good sunlight and a UVB bulb doesn't exactly accomplish that. It is good during the winter though.

TheSulcata

I just learned myself that they are NOT supposed to be kept in a dry area, are you keeping him in a dry area? (Mine are in a pretty dry area but they have a humid box they can get in)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Too dry would greatly contribute to the pyramiding. But does not cause MBD.
Is the shell soft at all?
Why are you thinking MBD? The legs not moving correctly?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As has been hinted at in the above posts, your calcium needs UVB either from the sun or from a GOOD UVB light in order to make the bones and shell strong. I'm guessing he wasn't under a good light while at your folks' house.

I use two different kinds in different enclosures. If I want heat along with UVB I use this bulb:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

If I don't want heat because I get heat from a different source, I use this bulb:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg
Except I use the T-10 (couldn't find a picture of the T-10)

If you put too much calcium on the food, they tend to not want to eat, so use it sparingly and stir it all in.

Volspa

Didnt know that they shouldn't be kept to dry, I do mist his enclosure but not very often and the substrate (sand/topsoils/coconut coir) get very dry sometimes, in fact I wonder if he's walking how he does because the substrates too dry and almost feels sandy, most the time I can poke my finger straight to the bottom. He does stand up more on harder surface (just checked)

UVB only comes from a mercury vapor bulb now(either 120 or 160 exo terra i think)
I haven't had him outside yet (wasn't living in my own place when I got him, and haven't sorted out the little bit of garden I have now as I'm renting and not sure how long I'll be here)
I wasn't particularly thinking MBD, but after reading into pyramiding and his legs I got a little worried.

Thank you for your reply everyone

Last edited:

TheSulcata

Yes, definitely do not use sand. It is good if you get dirt from your backyard and cook it in your oven for about an hour so it kills the insects and bacteria. You should also spray a fine mist over the whole thing like twice a day

Volspa

I was only misting about once a week :/ will definitely spray more. Don't have any soil in my garden though just concrete. I thought a 50/50 mix of top soil and play sands one of the more recommended substrates? Think I should try 70/30 split or go digging in the park behind the house?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put him on a carpet or rug and see if he can get up on those back legs. It sounds to me as if he's suffering from MBD too.

TheSulcata

Hmm I'm not a super tortoise expert, but everyone I know that has healthy sulcatas uses dirt that they cook..

TheSulcata

And don't be embarrassed or anything because most people make these mistakes when they start out. Just make sure he has a wide variety of food (hibiscus flowers prickly pear lettuce carrots zucchini) a humid environment that is at least 80 degrees round the whole tank but not over 110 and make sure you have a big enclosure and you are good! Also, to help shell growth I use a calcium vitamin powder but you can also use cuttle bone

Volspa

Well Rex is in bed now but ill try get some photos of him walking on a hard surface tomorrow.
I definitely don't feed him a varied enough diet, just dandy leafs & flowers and sweet and crunchy salad mixs, I have found lists of edible weeds and flowers and stuff before but have always worried about feeding him something bad(there's allotments and a nature park 5mins away so I'm sure I could find a lot more food for him) I don't suppose anyone knows of a list that has pictures?
I do use calci powder and nutrobol once a week.
Have sprayed his enclosure heavily now and will redo his substrate on my next day off.

Thanks for your help so far everyone, wish that I sought out some advice sooner