Shell damage advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
tort shell damage.JPGTort is entering hibernation ,I saw her today 1st time for a few weeks as it was hot so she came out for an hour , lives in the back garden with free run. I noticed this damage to the shell, it is on both sides but this photo shows the worst , probably from sliding down off paving stones, will this heal on its own ? tort shell damage.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
It doesn't look too serious, and relatively clean, but it might be a good idea to clean it with some betadine/povidone iodine and a soft-bristled toothbrush? You could also put some triple antibiotic ointment on for safe measure, but I'd guess this will heal up nicely without any ointments.

I will say I have zero experience with shell injuries, so I hope a more experienced person chimes in soon!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks superficial and nothing to worry about. If its raw and you think it might attract flies (to lay their eggs on it), then I would keep it packed with triple antibiotic ointment until its not raw anymore.

This doesn't look like the type of injury that is incurred during normal climbing and brushing up against something. It looks more to me like it was chewed. Do you have rats?

bobc

5 Year Member
Cyprus
emysemys said:
It looks superficial and nothing to worry about. If its raw and you think it might attract flies (to lay their eggs on it), then I would keep it packed with triple antibiotic ointment until its not raw anymore.

This doesn't look like the type of injury that is incurred during normal climbing and brushing up against something. It looks more to me like it was chewed. Do you have rats?
I hope not but I will put some poison down for any rats tonight , I must admit the damage has suddenly appeared and tort is not very active now , I will also make earth ramps on the edges of the paving slabs from the garden where she slides off the edge .
Antibiotic wash too
Thanks for the advice , Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.