Shedding or Shell Rot?

Sungmin

I have recently taken in a Russian Tortoise for a family member that will be away for quite a while. I have certainly enjoyed the fellow being around. He has quite an healthy appetite and is very active (particularly digging :} )

However, I have recently noticed dry, flaky skin on his head/face area. Also, dent like marks have been appearing on his shell. Yet, there is no discharge or fleshy areas that usually occur with shell rot. I have been soaking him regularly and providing a diet with variety. I have included some pictures as well. Please help, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank You:)

CYMERA_20150122_011630.jpg CYMERA_20150122_005106.jpg CYMERA_20150122_005033.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Shell rot almost always starts on the plastron (bottom side of the tortoise), not the carapace. Don't worry about those spots. They are nothing. And the dry, flaky skin is normal too.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Now when you say appearing do you mean you're just noticing them or they were not there one day and were the next?
Are they at all a different hardness than the other parts of the shell? My Russian has chips and dings because he was from a petstore but they were there and didn't just appear one day.
Not thinking shell rot, but do you think he could somehow be damaging it if they did just suddenly appear?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
To me, it just looks like the dings and dents that many WC russians have. After a few years of good care and and nice healthy growth, they'll be less noticeable. Do you know his origin? :D
The skin is normal, he's just shedding.