Sexing tortoises

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Still a bit too young. Are these Herman's? I'd say 2 years old they should be easily sexable. Still too young and small right now.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Young tort always look like girls. I think 2 should be a little early for sexing right now! Do they live together? The left tort looks a lot smaller than the right... he/she may get bullied :eek:

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Both are certainly looking to be female based on those anal scutes and although it's likely that they are in fact female, this is not set in stone and could change.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
what are ways to tell the sex?
Well, usually you look at the tail. Females usually have shorter, stubbier tails than males. You can look at the shell. Sometimes males have concave plastrons (the bottom part bent inwards) also, depending on what tort you have, females are almost ALWAYS larger than males.
There are other species specifics, such as if you have a sulcata, males will generally have larger 'gulars' (the spikes on the front if the bottom of the shell)
What type of tort do you have? How old is the guy? :D

emmaterry32

Florida
Could anyone help me sex my tortoise? I've been calling her Shelby for 3 years now and she's starting to appear male to me! Thank you! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411588410.367370.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411588427.566936.jpg