Sexing my new hingebacks

Mattt0192

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Summerville, SC
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here.

I just received two Home's hingeback tortoises and was wondering if you can help me verify if they sent me the proper sex (one male and one female)

The first one is the "female"
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG

The second one is the "male"

IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1094.JPG

They have some chips around their collars and some teeth marks in their shells yet they're not as shy as I expected them to be. Any help is very appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I think they're going to need to see the tails.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Sorry it took so long

This is the "male"

View attachment 195563

And this is the "female"

View attachment 195564

Thanks again!
Sorry you didn't get any answer yet. May not be much help but I'll try. From what I can see these appear as same sex. I'm inclined to say male but cannot see tails well enough. I know they're not inclined to be very helpful but tails need to be out in the open more instead of clamped up tight as they are. One more problem is that they appear pretty young(3-4 years) and may not be mature enough to tell yet. Even if they're both boys make a separate decent sized enclosure and get one or two definite females for each male. The bigger the better. Unless having a pretty good sized habitat the males will constantly try to flip each other up side down during their mating season which can lead to fatality especially if under a heat source or hot light. I lost a female this way once. Very sad!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Having a 2nd look the #2 could be female. The tail is not as long as I thought. I've noticed with mine the females do seem to have a fairly long tail too.