Sea, Turtle, Turtle and Terrapins?

GooD_ComBo

How to differentiate those?
I know what Tortoises and Turtles are, but when it comes to Terrapins. It confuses me.
Sea turtles are categorized as Turtle or Sea Turtle or Terrapins?

Which type of species consider Terrapins?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
All this depends upon what country you live in. For example, Australia refers to water chelonians as tortoises and land chelonians as turtles.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
i thought "Terrapins" means turtle lives in brackish water
like genus Batagur or the american diamondback terrapins

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
From what I've learned Terrapins live in a land/water mix. They never stray too far from the water but, unlike turtles, they don't spend all of their time in the water. From what I've read it seems as though Terrapins spend about 50/50 of their life in water and land though the water doesn't necessarily have to be brackish.
Sea turtles and other species of aquatic turtles spend essentially all of their life in the water.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
From what I've learned Terrapins live in a land/water mix. They never stray too far from the water but, unlike turtles, they don't spend all of their time in the water. From what I've read it seems as though Terrapins spend about 50/50 of their life in water and land though the water doesn't necessarily have to be brackish.
Sea turtles and other species of aquatic turtles spend essentially all of their life in the water.
thats more like box turtles and other semi-aquatic turtles in the genus Cuora, Terrapene, and glyptemys