Scute come off

grasstrees

5 Year Member
The scute of my 78 year old spur thighed tortoise has come off. I've treated with betadine but wondered what else can I do? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489274917.630422.jpg

grasstrees

5 Year Member
The scute has come off the shell of this 78 year old spur thighed tortoise. I've treated with betadine and would be so grateful for some advice
Thanks ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489275197.096222.jpg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Oh dear!! I'm so sorry!!! I don't know what to tell you, I haven't dealt with this before. But I'm wishing you the best!!! And 78 years IS A LONG TIME!!! That's awesome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like the adjacent scutes are lifting too. Has he been too close to the light/heat?

grasstrees

5 Year Member
No - he was out all last summer and it started then . Should I scrape the white bit off?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No. The "white bit" is bone. You need to find out if there's an infection or fungus growing under those lifted scutes. If it were my tortoise I would take it to a good, qualified tortoise vet and find out what's going on under there.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
No. The "white bit" is bone. You need to find out if there's an infection or fungus growing under those lifted scutes. If it were my tortoise I would take it to a good, qualified tortoise vet and find out what's going on under there.
I agree! I don't think it's something you can fix by yourself. It's already too late for that scute.