scute anatomy and physiology info

MyTrek

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ohio, USA
I am looking for information on the anatomy and physiology of scutes, more detailed than diagrams naming them. I'm really curious about the different layers, how they grow, what they are made of, the cell types, where the growth plates start, there relationship to other structures like hair or scales, etc...
I've seen references comparing scutes to hair, fingernails and such but really want the detailed info. I have a pretty vast science library and lots of biology textbooks but not much is about turtles/tortoises.
Yes.... I am a geek.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you read this article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15880409

Will mentioned a way to do a Google search for scientific papers but I don't remember what he said. Send him a PM and I'll bet he has some words of wisdom for you. His username is - Will

MyTrek

Oxford, Ohio, USA
That is absolutely my kind of article. I'm going to download the full article and see if there are diagrams, that would be perfect. Thank you!

I really admire your interest in the scientific aspect of these animals not just the care. As a medical professional myself, I would love to get into studying tortoise anatomy and physiology. Do you have any books or websites you suggest?