"Screen house" outdoor enclosure

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
So yah it can dip into the 50s in south Texas in late December through early February. So the outdoor ponds I call the "screen house" they are completely enclosed with hog wire and shade cloth so it's screened in. Baby blue the Indian ring neck lives in with the turtles. So I covered it in greenhouse plastic to keep in heat from solar gain of sun exposure during the day. At night I added 4-100 watt heat lamps for cool evenings.

On the inside
image.jpeg
South American spotted turtles and savanna sidenecks
image.jpeg
Savanna sideneck
image.jpeg

Asian leaf turktes.
image.jpeg

The batagurs in pond 3

Charlie is a very very friendly turtle.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
quick and efficient. kept them warm for sure! ! ! !;);)

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
This screenhouse is just awesome! How much did the material around it cost?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This screenhouse is just awesome! How much did the material around it cost?
Uhhhh. Well the plastic came with an actual greenhouse I purchased in the spring. The wood was around $500 bucks. The shade cloth also came with the greenhouse purchase. I also had to rent a machine to grade the area and also dig the ponds. Each pond with liner and pump cost around $115 bucks per each one. Wood dividers weren't too expensive about $total. The wire is $58 a roll for a 5'x50' roll. I'd say around $2000 bucks or so. It's quite large though. This same design could be replicated smaller for a lot less.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Uhhhh. Well the plastic came with an actual greenhouse I purchased in the spring. The wood was around $500 bucks. The shade cloth also came with the greenhouse purchase. I also had to rent a machine to grade the area and also dig the ponds. Each pond with liner and pump cost around $115 bucks per each one. Wood dividers weren't too expensive about $total. The wire is $58 a roll for a 5'x50' roll. I'd say around $2000 bucks or so. It's quite large though. This same design could be replicated smaller for a lot less.
This is cheap because you did not consider the labor cost!!.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Labor cost is cheap ! Some beach and beer and free help . Well sometimes . I like going down there and helping out .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Free labor are sometime will take a lifetime to pay it back. But there is no other things, are more nobler than "Free Labor"! !

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
More on baby blue?? :) ;)
Baby blue is awesome. Maggie brought him down last spring. He's an Indian ring neck. Hilarious bird. He's learning new laughs and noises. He mimics big bird the blue and gold macaw who lives about 30' from him and this enclosure.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Baby blue is awesome. Maggie brought him down last spring. He's an Indian ring neck. Hilarious bird. He's learning new laughs and noises. He mimics big bird the blue and gold macaw who lives about 30' from him and this enclosure.

Hehe I know that... I also had an interest in taking him till the hubby said no.... . .

I should have said, can you share more photos of him, too?! :)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Wow great job!!!
I have to visit this one time....