Scared but excited!!!

tinkerbellbabex

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi I'm called Melissa and I've wanted a tortoise since forever, I have recently got a horsfield tortoise and he's my world already!!! Still not sure if he's a boy or girl though :) , I'm so excited but scared at the same time because want the best life for him

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Firstly I am going to direct you to some essential reading. Follow these guides and you will have a healthy and happy tortoise who will be with you for the next 60+ years.

The TFO guides are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information given out by many pet stores and, sadly, by some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian (Horsfield) Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Once you've read them, come back to us with any questions and include photos of your setup and lighting as that will help us to see what you have already :)

tinkerbellbabex

United Kingdom
Thank you for your replies I will read them articles right now :) I have a vivarium and soil for him and a cave for him to sleep in and he loves it

tinkerbellbabex

United Kingdom
I can't see what all is in the enclosure in your pic, but all the good info is in those care sheets.

Hello and welcome.

Thank you :) here's a closer picture of it hope you can see it all and yeah just reading the common mistakes now and thankfully I haven't done any of these yet and won't be doing them :)

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Those feeding bowls are hard for a tortoise to reach into. Change the feeder out and replace it with a tile or broken piece of cement. For water buy a cheapy clay plant saucer and sink it down into the substrate. Get rid of the alfalfa pellets and replace it with either coco coir or orchid bark. You can even use clean (Pesticide free) dirt from outside.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. I love Russian tortoises. Follow the advice above and you will have a happy, healthy tortoise.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Since your problem already pointed out by yvonne. I just want to ask one thing.
Can i have the pizza? Kinda hungry :p

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Do not worry/panic: you'll get all the help you need, here. Whenever in doubt ask questions.