Saving some Box Turtles

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I kind of assume just by looking, he got them second hand...or had them for a long time and got bored at some point and stopped giving them adequate care. :/

Xabbusan

Seattle, WA
I just spoke with the teacher! I am so happy to report that he DOES have a large outdoor enclosure at home that he puts them in during the summer. He also keeps them indoors at night because he has a lot of predators in his area. He has had them for about 30 years himself, but he is not sure exactly how old they are because he adopted them from a student who no longer had interest in them. He guesses they could be as old as 50.

He also told me about how he gives them night-crawlers and occasionally crickets (so he does vary up the protein sources). They are good hunters and eaters, I have witnessed that myself.

I am so happy to hear that they have generally been well taken care of most of the time. He did not mind at all what I added to their tank. School is out for the year in about a month here, so over the summer I think I am going to build a nicer/larger indoor enclosure for them to use at the school for next year and donate it to the classroom. I am limited to the counter space that they are currently sitting on, so it still won't be huge, but better than what they have now.

When I do that, I will probably start a new thread documenting the build so I can get feedback and ideas :)

Thanks all for the support and the great information!

Kara Kopek

Virginia
Pics of their temporary additions. More to come tomorrow. The Orange one is not eating as much as the Yellow one. The Yellow one gobbled down almost the entire plate of food. The Orange one ate a couple bites but that's it so far.

View attachment 205348 View attachment 205349

Thank you so much for taking your personal time to care for these precious turtles!!!