Saving some Box Turtles

Xabbusan

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
I wanted to start a thread for anyone interested in watching their progress. I will update this as things move forward.

Storytime:
I work security at a school and they have a couple of turtles in a classroom. I noticed that they were not being adequately cared for, which even I could tell and I have never owned any sort of turtles/tortoises/reptiles. I decided to take action myself. I found out what kind they are from a friendly forum user here, Stuart S. and have contacted the teacher in charge of their care (still waiting to hear back from him, it's Spring Break right now).

2 Box Turtles (Not sure yet on their sex, and about 5-6 years old) are housed in a 20 gallon aquarium with bark/dirt (very dirty and hard, needing to be changed) and literally just a tupperware that only sometimes had water in it (and when it did was very dirty). They were left here over spring break with only a couple of small shriveled apple pieces left in the dirt. No UV light, no heat lamp. This is in Seattle... it does not stay warm or sunny enough here to not have a lamp.

Today, as a temporary measure, I added in a shoe box that I cut in half so each turtle could have it's own hiding place. I also added in two separate food dishes and cleaned and filled their water dish, making sure that it was pushed into the substrate so that they could get into the water without tipping it over.

I fed them a mix of romaine lettuce, crimini mushrooms, green bell pepper, and gala apples (stuff that I had at home). They absolutely loved it. They have both made their way into the water dish and gone potty a couple of times (after which I changed the water again). I had not seen any obvious feces or urine in the tank previously, so I'm not sure how often they were actually going before. I have also started misting the tank with a spray bottle once a day.

My plan after work today is to purchase some calcium supplement and worms, and proper half-logs for hiding that they can also climb on. I may also purchase new coconut shell substrate, a better watering hole w/ramp, and a heat lamp... but it depends on how much it will all cost. I may wait on the latter items until after I speak with the teacher. If they are owned by the school I should be able to get the school to pay for all of this stuff. I would LOVE to take them to a vet and have them checked out as well (i'm worried that the orange one might have mouth rot? I'm not sure if the white around it's mouth is bad or if it just it's regular markings. They also have some chipping in their shells :( ).

Worst case scenario, or maybe best case scenario lol, is that I would offer to adopt them and take them home, or if the school still wants them around, take over their care at the school myself. Ultimately, I would like to build them a bigger/better wooden enclosure, I just don't know if the school will allow me the space needed to do that.

Pics are of the turtles and their enclosure on the day I decided to take action. This was after I added in clean water. They were normally hiding in their shells barely moving.
Turtle Tank.jpg Orange 1.jpg Orange 2.jpg Orange 3.jpg Yellow 1.jpg Yellow 2.jpg Yellow 3.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Thank you for taking interest in their care. There is a lot that can be done for them, number one- they need a much bigger enclosure. Turtles, including box turtles need a lot of room. they move acres in a day. So whatever can be done for them would be an improvement. They also need earthworms for protein. Hard to tell their sex. Can you take a pic of the underside of each tail? That can help us the most to determine sex.

Last edited:

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Thanks for making this thread, I'm really looking forward to following it and praying the teacher comes to his senses and lets you care for this animals!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Thank you for taking interest in their care. There is a lot that can be done for them, number one- they need a much bigger enclosure. Turtles, including box turtles need a lot of room. they move acres in a day. So whatever can be done for them would be an imporvement. They also need earthworms for protein. Hard to tell their sex. Can you take a pic of the underside of each tail? That can help us the most to determine sex.

They are 3-toed correct @ColleenT ? The large claws on the back legs made me think male, but I'm not for certain by any means?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I don't know if they are 3 toed. Possibly. it looks like 3 toes in the pics. The shells are dirty and so hard to determine by pattern. The large claws mean nothing regarding gender.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I don't know if they are 3 toed. Possibly. it looks like 3 toes in the pics. The shells are dirty and so hard to determine by pattern. The large claws mean nothing regarding gender.

Oh wow, for some reason I was under the impression males had larger talon like claws in the back verses smaller claws on the female. My mistake!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
this is my outdoor enclosure- it is 6 ft x 16 ft. I have 4 boxies. You are welcome to show this to the teacher to show how much room they need.

turtpenjuly2016_zps3b0zgkjr.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Oh wow, for some reason I was under the impression males had larger talon like claws in the back verses smaller claws on the female. My mistake!

That may be true for some tortoises, but not for Boxies. You can usually tell by the underside of the tail. the cloaca is closer to the body in a female and a female usually has a much shorter tail.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings Xab....as others have said, thanks for jumping in and taking care of these boxies. Larger enclosure for sure, and you can also go find some leaf litter from the fall which will provide some more stuff for them to burrow around in. Feel free to find and add in some earthworms, for some protein. Lastly, get a nice tub or sink, add some nice warm water (not hot, not cold) agive your boxies a nice long soak, easily 20-30 mins. Add more water to keep it warm. A good soak will do wonders.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Those are three toed box turtles. I'd need to see photo as of underside of tail to say 100% what genders.

I blew the photos up some and with those photos your first turtle is male. Clearer photos would help.

The white is his markings, not mouth rot. To be honest, these turtles look pretty healthy. Get them some nightcrawlers.

Last edited:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'd get them a heat lamp, uvb, and fake plant cover also. That is not a 20 gallon, btw. But still not big enough.

Last edited:

Xabbusan

Seattle, WA
Thanks all! As suggested, I gave them a nice warm bath for about 20 min each and put them out in some sun. I also found a bucket that it looks like the teacher was using to breed earthworms. I gave one worm to each turtle and they both ate them. Shortly after their feeding and warm bath, and after getting the pictures of their tails for sex determination... they just decided to show me themselves. lol So looks like I have one female (yellow) and one male (orange). It looks like the female may have some shell problems after I cleaned it off a bit while she was soaking. I also added some paper to the bottom/sides of the tank to block their line of sight.

Beautiful enclosure!!!

this is my outdoor enclosure- it is 6 ft x 16 ft. I have 4 boxies. You are welcome to show this to the teacher to show how much room they need.

turtpenjuly2016_zps3b0zgkjr.jpg

Orange Bathing.jpg Yellow Bathing.jpg Orange Tail.jpg Yellow Tail.jpg Turtles Mating.jpg Yellow Shell Damage.jpg

Xabbusan

Seattle, WA
I'd get them a heat lamp, uvb, and fake plant cover also. That is not a 20 gallon, btw. But still not big enough.

Thanks, yeah I thought it was a 20 because I purchased a 20 gallon tank off of craigslist for some fish at home and it looked like the same size... but I never measured it, so the person selling it probably didn't know it was bigger either. :) Like you said though, either way it is too small!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks all! As suggested, I gave them a nice warm bath for about 20 min each and put them out in some sun. I also found a bucket that it looks like the teacher was using to breed earthworms. I gave one worm to each turtle and they both ate them. Shortly after their feeding and warm bath, and after getting the pictures of their tails for sex determination... they just decided to show me themselves. lol So looks like I have one female (yellow) and one male (orange). It looks like the female may have some shell problems after I cleaned it off a bit while she was soaking. I also added some paper to the bottom/sides of the tank to block their line of sight.

Beautiful enclosure!!!

View attachment 205352 View attachment 205353 View attachment 205354 View attachment 205355 View attachment 205356 View attachment 205357
Yeah, I had a feeling it was a pair. That female will need a suitable place to lay eggs. They really do look quite healthy other than that shell damage.

My concern is him harassing her like that to the point of stressing her out with her being the only female around.

Xabbusan

Seattle, WA
I'm glad to hear that it is not mouth rot. Is there anything to do about the shell? Is that something that a vet would need to look at or is that something that generally heals itself over time with proper care? I don't really know how turtle shells work lol.

I was also concerned about them being together. I had read that they generally should either be kept alone or in a group of 3-5 with only one male and the rest female. Very similar to a lot of fish species, which I am much more familiar with.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm glad to hear that it is not mouth rot. Is there anything to do about the shell? Is that something that a vet would need to look at or is that something that generally heals itself over time with proper care? I don't really know how turtle shells work lol.

I was also concerned about them being together. I had read that they generally should either be kept alone or in a group of 3-5 with only one male and the rest female. Very similar to a lot of fish species, which I am much more familiar with.
You know, it looks old and healed over to me but I can't be positive. Hopefully someone with experience in health issues will respond as well.

You are correct about housing. Ideally 1 male to 3 females. I'm sure he's happy but she may be stressed. It would be great if they could each have their own enclosure.

She really will need a place to lay eggs so she doesn't become egg bound.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Not sure how deep your soaking water was, but feel free to soak them in a much larger, much deeper container. Get a whole handful of worms and provide along with their food. They'lll gobble them up. Crickets, mealy worms, etc are all good too.

Xabbusan

Seattle, WA
Not sure how deep your soaking water was, but feel free to soak them in a much larger, much deeper container. Get a whole handful of worms and provide along with their food. They'lll gobble them up. Crickets, mealy worms, etc are all good too.

Yeah it was just the little tupperware they already had in the tank, unfortunately that was all I had today but I am going to buy a better one after work.

I forgot to ask that question.... how much should they be eating? I didn't really find a lot of info when looking around online other than good types of food and frequency (I saw anything from once a day to once every other day). I haven't found an answer really on how much food they should eat in a day.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yeah it was just the little tupperware they already had in the tank, unfortunately that was all I had today but I am going to buy a better one after work.

I forgot to ask that question.... how much should they be eating? I didn't really find a lot of info when looking around online other than good types of food and frequency (I saw anything from once a day to once every other day). I haven't found an answer really on how much food they should eat in a day.
Every other day or 3 times a week. Maybe a couple tablespoons per turtle. 50% animal protein, the rest some greens and fruits (berries of all kinds are great), shredded veggies too.

Occassionally I'll use soaked turtle pellets for protein. Reptomin, omega one, etc.