Saved This Snapper from the Neighbors Dinner Plate

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
So instead of the neighbor eating this snapper I came to the rescue and saved it, i've never seen one in the wild this light so it had to be saved :) Besides the normally pissy attitude that they have out of the water, she sure is a beaut. I'm thinking she's either a light pastel or a caramel....or something I don't even know about....def not hypo as her eyes aren't bug eyed.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I know I was glad I got home in time to see him with this beauty, she's also extremely gravid, i imagine she'll be popping this month.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Wow, /i am amazed to see one that light, that big. Question is she a pet now?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thats what i was thinking too dmmj because the lake is full of large mouth bass and gar, but I guess all things are possible. And yes she is a pet now, i don't want to chance it again and my neighbor catch her again and eat it. Now the fun part begins, enclosure time. Can't do anything too permanent as i'm moving to florida soon, so i think i'll do something outside that is completely enclosed (including screened roof) as i've seen how well they can climb.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's times like this I hate living in CA (illegal here),or I would so love to buy one of the babies.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Beautiful I have never seen one that light :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can't wait to see the babies. I have one, but she is the normal dark color. She was saved years ago from being made into a meal too.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I keep my snappers in a water tank fro tractor suply . 650 gal is like 200.00 dollars . She is a beautiful snapping turtle . Hey down south they are good eating .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a different-looking snapper. I'm so glad you saved her. I also have one in a Tractor Supply 600 gallon water trough. I worried about the galvanized metal, so I lined mine with heavy-duty pond liner. I've got a nice big plastic cave in the middle that also serves as the island and I see mine sitting on the island frequently in the afternoons, and at night she sleeps in the cave.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
That species scares me, personally, but I am as happy as can be, that you saved her!
Nice job!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Haha yeah she is a fussy little girl, it's all about just going for it and knowing where to grab...slower the better. I'll be looking for some kind of tub for her and then i'll build her a land enclosure as well for her to lay her eggs as she is ready to pop with eggs.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thats what i was thinking too dmmj because the lake is full of large mouth bass and gar, but I guess all things are possible. And yes she is a pet now, i don't want to chance it again and my neighbor catch her again and eat it. Now the fun part begins, enclosure time. Can't do anything too permanent as i'm moving to florida soon, so i think i'll do something outside that is completely enclosed (including screened roof) as i've seen how well they can climb.
Yep.
image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I totally agree with her beauty and that she didn't become dinner. Kelly, I wouldn't have believed it without the pic, wow

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
haha exactly!!! although if they needed thumbs they'd just probably take a chunk from mine lols