Sarra's Crib (LOTS of pictures!)

Judy@SYR

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
I don't get to post often, but I wanted to give an update on my little Indian star tortoise, Sarra. I've had her for just over a year now and I just love her to bits!

This is the enclosure we've built for her, a book case laid on its back, with some modifications. My dear husband did the construction work and then I did all the planting and "landscaping". It's been a lot of fun and I believe I might even be seeing some hints of green showing up in my previously black thumb.

When it warms up enough to go outside, she'll spend the sunny parts of the day outdoors, but this enclosure will be her primary home until we retire from active duty service and finally buy a permanent home for ourselves.

The first pictures show the basic setup, then I moved the lights out of the way to get the pictures.

KlgXt6.jpg

Bd6zow.jpg

eSAwPW.jpg

We screwed plywood to the base and left a lip at one end to support lamp clamps.

gIOAhx.jpg

I set up some extra growing trays for grass and clover to replace what she eats and tramples.

cftXM1.jpg

And here's the little darling herself. She had pyramiding when I bought her, but I believe the new growth since I've had her is a lot less pronounced.

wF2aa1.jpg

o7YmjN.jpg

KkRSgK.jpg

T27LYn.jpg

Qheaqq.jpg

o6tAmv.jpg

She's on top of the hill at the center...this shot shows off the size of her enclosure. I wish it could be even bigger, but this is as big as logistics will allow, for now.

Dgt4Nm.jpg

shtqBq.jpg

fuM46Z.jpg

V7l6LF.jpg

UWIfmU.jpg

EeFOoy.jpg

eyyukM.jpg

She wasn't too impressed with the whole picture-taking routine!

4GbAyi.jpg

So, there she is. Please let me know what you think. I seriously value the opinions and expertise of the members here!

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
I like your enclosure. You have it so well planted you probably have a pretty good humidity level even with it being open. Your tortoise isn't a baby either so super high humidity isn't a necessity. I wish mine looked as nice.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Gorgeous tortoise and I love the enclosure ^_^ You did a good job with planting and landscaping it. ;)

Judy@SYR

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Sorry for the delayed reply...I don't get on much during the weekends. Thank you all very much for the kind comments!

Looks nice, the UV light scares me though! Is it loose? or secured?

There are two long pieces of wood (painted black) that go across the width of the enclosure and are secured at each end with velcro, so I can adjust them to accommodate different styles of strip lights. The light itself is resting on those two pieces of wood. It might look a little flimsy, but there's no risk of it falling.

I have some snakes in this room as well, so I keep the whole room heated. It varies from 80-82 degrees ambient. A UV spot and a CHE at one end of the enclosure provide a hot zone for her that ranges between 95-105. All the lights and fountain are on timers. The CHE stays on 24/7 to provide a warmer zone even at night.

Chenderson

Lancashire, Blackpool
Sorry for the delayed reply...I don't get on much during the weekends. Thank you all very much for the kind comments!

There are two long pieces of wood (painted black) that go across the width of the enclosure and are secured at each end with velcro, so I can adjust them to accommodate different styles of strip lights. The light itself is resting on those two pieces of wood. It might look a little flimsy, but there's no risk of it falling.

I have some snakes in this room as well, so I keep the whole room heated. It varies from 80-82 degrees ambient. A UV spot and a CHE at one end of the enclosure provide a hot zone for her that ranges between 95-105. All the lights and fountain are on timers. The CHE stays on 24/7 to provide a warmer zone even at night.
Sounds like tortoise paradise!