San Diego Zoo Trip

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Male SA leopard walking around at the San Diego Zoo. Definitely the highlight of the trip. I still get excited every time I see a leopard tortoise, even though I could simply go in my backyard and see the same thing.

2wqrafo.jpg

Still ludicrous over leopards,

Nealio

Attachments

• 273.JPG
    273.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Holy cow, Neal. . .that tortoise is huge. Any idea how big or how much it weighs?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I was trying to deal with restless kids when we were in the area so I couldn't make any thorough observations, but shooting from the hip this one was in the 20" range, give or take, maybe 50 - 60lbs.

Maybe someone else has a better idea, these ones have been at the SD Zoo for a long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man. . . I wonder how long it took for him to grow that big. My 7 year old female is about 15 or 20 lbs (I haven't weighed her in a long time).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I still get excited every time I see a leopard tortoise, even though I could simply go in my backyard and see the same thing.

This is why you are, and always will be a tortoise nerd. One of my favorite tortoise nerds, by the way...

Thanks for the pic.

You are welcome to stop by, if time allows.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This is why you are, and always will be a tortoise nerd. One of my favorite tortoise nerds, by the way...

Thanks for the pic.

You are welcome to stop by, if time allows.

I appreciate the kind words and offer Tom.

We're back in AZ now. Believe me, I thought about calling you up, but we were having to much fun in San Diego and didn't have much time or energy to try any other adventures.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oh man. . . I wonder how long it took for him to grow that big. My 7 year old female is about 15 or 20 lbs (I haven't weighed her in a long time).

From my understanding, these were imported in the same group as the ones from the source where we all got ours, back in the early or mid 90's. This is all second hand info (maybe third hand +)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah, not even someone else IN San Diego. Bummer.

Geez, I didn't realize I was so popular with all my fans wanting to see me.

Just kidding, I did think of you too Will. I certainly could have said hi or something, so that one's on me. I'll be down there again over labor day weekend to do some deep sea fishing. I am not in charge of the trip, so I am at the mercy of the trip organizer, but if I have a spare minute I'll shoot you a pm and we can do lunch or something on me.