Russian waste-is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
most of the things that i have read say that it's okay for Russians to eat carrots, so when my Zilla Reptile Munchies Vegetable Mix had carrots in it then i didn't think much about it (i originally had to feed it to him because its all that they fed him at the pet store and at first he wasn't eating very much - now he eats about a soda cap full of the dehydrated veggie munchies and the rest of his diet is made up of fresh green leaf and other greens that i buy) but ever since i got him I've noticed that when he goes to the bathroom the carrots are still intact in his waste....every carrot, every time. it's like he doesn't digest them at all, he just eats them and then they come out. like i said, every single carrot that he eats does that every single time that he eats them. is there something wrong with him, wrong with the carrots, wrong with something else that I'm doing, or is that just normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mira:

Maybe if you re-hydrate the dried stuff before you feed him...let it sit in water for a bit until it softens.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
the package says let it soak for at least 5 minutes and usually his food sits for at least 10 in water(because i do other stuff while his food is soaking) before i put it in his pen >.> it's plenty hydrated....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It just might be that the stuff is too old to re-hydrate. However, I sometimes grate fresh carrots for my tortoise babies and I see it come out the other end in the same form it went in. So maybe carrots are hard to digest.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
well i buy a new bag each month because that's about how much he usually goes through, eating two soda-bottle-cap fulls each day, so maybe it's old but i didn't think so when i bought it....i think that you're right, they're probably just harder to digest....on that note, do you think that i should remove the carrots from his food before i give it to him or do you think that i should just let him keep doing what he's doing, as so far i don't see any consequences to it?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just regard it as fiber rather than nutrition... it's keeping him 'regular' so to speak. I wouldn't worry. If it's properly rehydrated, it's doing no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.