Russian trying to eat acorns?

MaryHD

I let my tortoise out in the garden everyday and watch him crawl around and try the plants.

He likes to try to get into the dried acorns. Is it okay if he eats those? If he can ever pry them open, that is!

Thanks in advance!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I'm thinking that if he's interested in chewing on something hard like an acorn, he may want something to file his beak down on? Maybe try keeping some cuttlefish bone or cactus/veggie block in his indoor enclosure. It's OK for him to eat and will provide him with some extra calcium. :)

If his beak is really overgrown, there are many threads here to assist! I had to trim mine too and it wasn't fun but I think my Russian can eat a lot more easily now.

MaryHD

Okay, I will try a cuttlebone. He was going afterbricks too, so I have had to watch him closely.

Mother of Egor

I'm thinking that if he's interested in chewing on something hard like an acorn, he may want something to file his beak down on? Maybe try keeping some cuttlefish bone or cactus/veggie block in his indoor enclosure. It's OK for him to eat and will provide him with some extra calcium. :)

If his beak is really overgrown, there are many threads here to assist! I had to trim mine too and it wasn't fun but I think my Russian can eat a lot more easily now.
I will check out these threads, but my tortoise just doesn't seem interested in eating the cuttlebone available to him. Is there any way to "trick" him into munching on it occasionally?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
No idea. I probably don't have enough tort experience, but I would say that having some cuttlefish bone and rocks around the enclosure allows the tortoise the opportunity to file their beak down if needed. I would suggest the owner always keep an eye on it as well so that it doesn't become overgrown. Unless you have a baby tort, not cutting up food can be helpful too, I believe. So maybe chewing on hard rinds of fruits, cactus, etc. should be good as they would do that in the wild anyway. Another benefit to walking/climbing on rocks -- it can help their claws from getting too long plus it gives them something to "play" on. I have a Russian, and they're climbers.