Russian Tortoise

Susan Stout

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've had a male and female for a year but all of a sudden my fem buried herself and male sits on dirt above her and waiting. I live in tx and just put them outside. What do I do?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please post pics of your torts so as to enable us to help you more easily.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Susan, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm guessing she'll come out when she's ready. Have they always lived together? Is the outdoor yard large enough for her to get away from him if she wants to?

Susan Stout

Texas
Please post pics of your torts so as to enable us to help you more easily.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Hi. Thank you for the warm welcome.
Here's a pic of male, female is underground now for 2 days and he usually sits on top of dirt where she is.Screenshot_20170411-133454.png 20170411_130048.jpg

Susan Stout

Texas
Hi Susan, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm guessing she'll come out when she's ready. Have they always lived together? Is the outdoor yard large enough for her to get away from him if she wants to?

Yes, I bought them together approx. 1 year ago. The outside enclosure I currently have set up is 4' x 4'. Any suggestions are welcomed since I am a newbie to tortoise world.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Susan
Most torts don't do well in pairs ! They bully each other so it's best to keep 3 or more !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491939678.219420.jpg
As you see I have 9 Russians that do everything together !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491939747.194323.jpg

Susan Stout

Texas
Yes I wanted to get at least one more. But they are so expensive and didn't know who to trust. Thank goodness I finally found this site today. Is there a site that sells Russians that are reasonable and healthy.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yes I wanted to get at least one more. But they are so expensive and didn't know who to trust. Thank goodness I finally found this site today. Is there a site that sells Russians that are reasonable and healthy.
Why not spend some time on here and find that out . There are a lot of get people here and they sell their babies . And their here to help you 24 hours a day . ( by the way " get people means great people " I hate spell check :) )