Russian Tortoise Tempature

John387

I have a question what should the temperature be in the enclosure for a Russian tortoise and what should a basking temp be? Currently on the high end of it is 95 degrees and the low end is about 75 degrees

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hi, John.
Don't have Russians myself but http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
has the temperature listed at 95 to 100 degrees in the basking spot and then just naturally dropping away from this.
Even dropping into the 60's at night seems to be okay as long as the tortoise is able to heat up again the next day.
So you would appear to be fine.

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
For day that's great. Over time I played around with the temps and found what seemed to suit my tortoise best...that is the temps that kept him most active and healthy. For us that's basking around 95 falling to around 73. Then dropping to high 60s at night.

For night, age of your tortoise and how humid you keep your enclosure need to be factored in. Based on personal experience, I think over 70 is better for babies. When ours was smaller I wasnt using night heat, and the temp was dropping to low 60s and he got an RI.