Russian tortoise shell problem

courtneyg9513

I recently bought a russian tortoise and I noticed that he has weird markings on his shell. Also some of it is peeling. Any idea on what it is and how it can be treated? Attached are some photos. Help is greatly appreciated! :)image.jpegimage.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks fine. Probably just raised too dry. Give him an environment with 30-50% humidity or a humid hide and warm water soaks about once every other week or once a month. Babies get soaked daily.

I think it just needs to be in water more often and tortoise cream that you get get from Petco. Make sure it's not soft or it could be she'll rot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Actually, that's one of the nicer-looking Russian shells I've seen. Yes, there are a few flaking spots, but that's nothing to worry about. Russian tortoises are not treated very well when captured, packed and shipped out of their home country. They don't arrive at their destinations in very good condition. The only time you see a "perfect" Russian shell is on a captive born Russian.

Your tortoise's shell has a nice sheen/luster to it and doesn't appear dry-looking to me at all. I wouldn't use any kind of topical on it. Just set it up in a nice habitat (preferable outside) and sit back and enjoy your new tortoise.