Appx. vet costs - hibernation - buried tort ???

annster

5 Year Member
How much does it cost to get your tortoise treated by the vet when u first get one?

What are the pros and cons of hibernation? How long do they hibernate?

Since they dig a lot, do u still get to see them most of the time?

Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I've only taken my russian to the herp vet twice, each time he was squeaky clean and it cost me 80$ for a visit+fecal :)
If this is your first year, if he's young or sickly, NO. I would never hibernate my turtles/tortoises simply because of the risks it can involve (such as death) http://www.anapsid.org/hibernation.html
My russian hardly EVER digs, inside or out :D still I provide him with 6 inches of coir in case he feels like it. I see him quite often (and hear him) hahaha
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm
Tom's threads are also very good for tortoise care.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
the first time I took my Russian to the vet was right after I got him off of Craigslist, so we ran the full gambit of tests to check for parasites and what-not. first bill was about $300, then had to go in every two weeks for 3 weeks for oral medication, each visit being $35.

the only other time I've taken him in to the vet was this past June, when he stopped eating and was lethargic. Had fecal and blood work done, total for that visit was $290. then had to bring him in each week for the next 3 weeks for oral medication, along with giving injections every 3 days for 8 sessions. each oral med was only $7, wasn't charged for a full visit. ran a final fecal test for the all-clear for $19.

I've had my Russian for 5 years and these are the only times he's been sick that I'm aware.

(also, I don't hibernate my tort, I'm too paranoid)

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
I have only had to visit a vet for respiratory infections and once for an xray because I thought one of my bog old girls was egg bound. I have had my tortoises for about 8 years and total vets cost has been about £250 over that whole time.

I used to not hibernate them for the first couple of years I had them, but that was because of my fears at losing them or doing it wrong. It was actually quite difficult to keep the, going because they wanted to slow down. Eventually I bit the bullet, did a load of reading and research and hibernated them. I do it every year now and I have to say that they seem much better for it, and in fact one of my older girls only seems to mate and lay eggs if she has had her hibernation period. I just look to them for when they start to slow down and eat less before I start the process. I like to keep them as naturally as possible so this works for me

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
I see mine tons. he tends to bury himself when autumn/winter starts setting in, but will un-bury himself once his light's come on. I tend to just turn the light on for a few more hours extra in the colder months to keep him active and running. even if he goes to sleep on the cool side of his cage, he will wake up about an hour after his light turns on and go sun himself for a bit before he goes to wait at his tile for his breakfast.

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
Thanks! What about the digging/burrowing question?
Yes they do dig down but not all the time and I see most of them every day. They know when they are,going to be fed and will appear if they are hungry. In fact although they have access to at least six inches of topsoil they all choose to sleep in a wooden hide which is inside of their shed 99% of the time. Occasionally one digs down for the night .... I tend to let them do their own thing

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Depending where you get the tortoise I wouldn't even see need to go to the vet right away. In fact I got mine from Petco and didn't go for the entire first year because he was acting healthy. I went early this year because he wasn't eating and was lethargic. It cost me $80 for the visit, which I guess included the stool sample and fluid shot they game him. I was told blood tests would start at 200, plus any medication i'd need thankfully I didn't need blood tests!

I don't hibernate, I see too many health risks and couldn't be without my little buddy for so long. He doesn't even seem to notice.

Frank has never burrowed and hid away for long, he's never completely cover himself, except for once on my dads watch which scared the crap out of him because he thought, although impossible, he escaped. He likes to either sprawl out at night or go into his log. I see and also hear franklin almost all the time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much does it cost to get your tortoise treated by the vet when u first get one?

What are the pros and cons of hibernation? How long do they hibernate?

Since they dig a lot, do u still get to see them most of the time?

Thanks!

1. There is no way to predict this. Different vets charge differing amounts and recommend different things.It also depends on what the vet discovers and how much you want to do.
2. Pros: Its what they do in the wild and gives their body the programmed annual rest that they have evolved for millions of years to depend on. Keeps their growth on track. Keeps their hormones in line. Cons: There are no cons unless you make a mistake. Hibernating them is not hard to do, but if its not done correctly, they can die. How long they hibernate depends on the climate and the conditions they are presented with. Most people go for 3-4 months. I've heard as long as 6 months. In some areas of the wild they are only active for 6 weeks in spring and another 6 weeks in the fall. Winter hibernation and summer aestivation accounts for the other 40 weeks of the year.
3. This depends on the individual, its enclosure, its comfort level, the temperatures and lighting, and many other factors. Some never dig in and hide. Others dig in and hide a lot.