Russian Tortoise question

keith s

hey guys I need to jump in with a question of my own concerning Russian tortoises.
I have had many reptiles, but mostly different gecko types and bearded dragons.
I am being asked to take in and adopt a Russian tortoise. I know they are classified for beginners so I guess I should do fine with it with my experience. however I only have space for an enclosure measuring 36 long by 18 wide because it will have to go on the shelves I have with my dragons. also where I live I highly doubt I can dig an outdoor enclosure because I don't own property... plus I live in CT, usa...north east region of usa.
should I accept the tortoise knowing I may never find a bigger space for it, or let it just sit there unloved. please reply asap. send direct messages please as I want to make sure I get them rather than cruise this thread for someone else's discussion

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
hey guys I need to jump in with a question of my own concerning Russian tortoises.
I have had many reptiles, but mostly different gecko types and bearded dragons.
I am being asked to take in and adopt a Russian tortoise. I know they are classified for beginners so I guess I should do fine with it with my experience. however I only have space for an enclosure measuring 36 long by 18 wide because it will have to go on the shelves I have with my dragons. also where I live I highly doubt I can dig an outdoor enclosure because I don't own property... plus I live in CT, usa...north east region of usa.
should I accept the tortoise knowing I may never find a bigger space for it, or let it just sit there unloved. please reply asap. send direct messages please as I want to make sure I get them rather than cruise this thread for someone else's discussion

36x18 is much too small for a russian. The tortoise doesn't care if its loved as long as its got good food, clean water, adequate space and the correct temperature. It would be best if the tortoise went to someone with more space, or to you if you can figure out a place to put a much larger enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Keith, and welcome to the Forum!

(I'll send you an alert @Keith s to make sure you don't have to cruise someone else's thread for your answer! ;) )

Russian tortoises may be small, but they need a lot of roaming room. They are hard-wired to roam over great distances looking for food (because the area they come from has pretty sparse vegetation). If you try to keep him in a too-small area, he'll scratch in the corner or climb the walls all day long (and sometimes even all night long). In my opinion, if you can't provide a BIG enclosure (a 4 shelf bookcase on its back, for instance), then don't take the tortoise.