RUSSIAN TORTOISE OWNER

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Last month I became formal owner/daddy of precious "Luna" (Russian tortoise-5 1/4") due to the untimely death of her even more precious former owner. She (and we were just beginning to think she's beginning to look like a "he" after both of us raising her the last 3 years). She has plenty of yard space but with cooler weather, her own indoor full room is being prepared. Luna's currently in central New Jersey and loves romaine lettuce best.

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Welcome Russians are awesome Sorry for the loss of her former owner

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So sorry to hear about the previous tortoise-keeper. But Welcome to the Forum!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome and condolences.

Romaine is like crack to many tortoises. It's good as part of a varied diet, but not as the staple. Sometimes they become picky eaters and hold out for the treat, having trained us to cater to their preferences. Just something to be aware of.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome! I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your tortoises previous owner but I'm glad you were able to take care of her now. To get her to eat a more varied diet chop up a bunch of different types of greens and mix them with the Romain. They definitely love the Romain lettuce. check out the Russian tortoise section there is a bunch of great information there.and please don't forget pictures, we love pictures around here.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Thanks! The deep terrarium and the emphasis on "damp" threw me for a loop. Anyone reading this care sheet should acknowledge that the author is an extremely dry climate. Even then, the humid hide is a new concept to me. I am used to all humidity to be avoided.for the Russians. Interesting.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thanks! The deep terrarium and the emphasis on "damp" threw me for a loop. Anyone reading this care sheet should acknowledge that the author is an extremely dry climate. Even then, the humid hide is a new concept to me. I am used to all humidity to be avoided.for the Russians. Interesting.

Russians love to dig and burry themselves so the extra substraight is needed. Humidity is what helps their she'll grow smooth and health. Dry climate or not the wet and humid is needed.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Russians love to dig and burry themselves so the extra substraight is needed. Humidity is what helps their she'll grow smooth and health. Dry climate or not the wet and humid is needed.
As far as digging, I too believe in 6" of substrate (only possible drawback to some could be not keeping it clean if they plan on "never" changing the substrate.)