Russian Tortoise Out door heat in uk

Wendy Douce

Hi Just starting to plan my boys out side Homes But getting conflicting advice for all the web site about heat.
I am going to place a up turned plastic storage box in with then with a gap under it so they can get into it on cool days, like a green house. but do i need a basking light or a small hutch with heat. Should i bring them in at night or leave them out? I am planning to change the soil to sand soil gravel mix to a depth of about 20cm (depth of a breeze block used to stop escapes) hope this make sense to all . any other advice on their new homes would be appreciated. (Oh and they will be separated by a wall ) thank wendy

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Greetings Wendy,
Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post of yours, but what type and size tortoise are we talking about here? Also, do you live in an area prone to fox or other similar types of night time predators?

Wendy Douce

Greetings Wendy,
Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post of yours, but what type and size tortoise are we talking about here? Also, do you live in an area prone to fox or other similar types of night time predators?
HI i have two 8 year old males. Our garden in enclosed but we have dogs so i will be building a mesh top to their run, wooden side about 30cm high then some wire mesh at the side as well looking at different kinds plants and weeds and making hiding places for them Just want to know if ai need to have a basking light for them.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Russians are hardy enough to be left outside in the UK from April-September ish, depending on weather. At night however, I would have a greenhouse with a heat source on a thermostat as back-up, just in case it drops low-probably below about 8-10.

Wendy Douce

Any body got some ideas what type of light to set up out side for my guys to bask under on cooler days.I saw some where some one had set up a halogen spot light for them? And if i am going to bring them in at night would i need a heat source in there little wooden houses. At the moment if i turn down there basking light inside to low 30 or just below they don't come out for days Are they really going to cope with the British summer ?help i don't want to spend lost of time effort and money for them to sit in side their houses and not come out. Thanks any help would be gladly received