Russian tortoise help?

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
How long is typical for a new Russian to get used to his new surroundings and become active?
Two weeks? Is more than 2 weeks normal? When do you decide they are sleeping too much?
:mad: :confused: :eek:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Two weeks seems to be about the norm. If its a baby, they are pretty shy, however a grown Russian usually comes out sooner. Double check all your care, lights, heat, etc. and make sure it's all in the norm for the species.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Ditto the above, also you should check how their diet changed, don't introduce things too quickly (unless they are being fed cat food). Good luck :)

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
I think how long it takes the to settle in can depend on each tortoise. I have had one that eats and settles within a couple of days and I had one who is very shy take what seemed forever. It was a month before she ate and by that time I was beside myself with worry. However, I kept her well soaked and used some critical care in her bath water and she did just fine. Hydration is the most important thing, and they will eat when they are good and ready. My Russians have a good dose of the "stubborn" gene