Russian tortoise help?

torquendiesel

Hey everyone I'm a recently new owner to a pair of Russians. I have done a good amount if research on them and tried to make a visualy appealing enclosure. It is 7 foot long 4 foot wide and they only seem to stick to their basking corner. I have a very open hide box which I fear is to open and not humid enough to attract them to it after their lights get shut off. They just burrow in the dirt after I shut off the lights. Any criticism/opinion is welcome I need help making them interested as it seems they only move once I offer food. I live in ny and it is still 40 degrees outside may that be the problem??? Pls help I want them active/ healthy

AWW

First, make sure of your temps.

Second, they will always take a few days to get used to their new environment.

May want to think about separating them. Russians are isolated in the wild, they don't live in families or have friends.

Captain Albert Watson Walkslow

Recent tortoise owners.
Future Pharmacist.
And also a biologist.

Pictures???

Captain Albert Watson Walkslow

Recent tortoise owners.
Future Pharmacist.
And also a biologist.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
they only seem to stick to their basking corner.

You can offer a ceramic heat emitter in another area to offer up a warm area, or you can use another light/heat source identical to the one you already have and place it in another area of the enclosure to offer up alternate area....

very open hide box

I think that I would invest the money in more substrate, so that they have at least the depth necessary to completely bury themselves if they feel the need---this is a species that will completely submerge themselves several feet into the earth (literally disappear into the earth) and remain there for months....so the deeper the substrate the better--but I would not keep the enclosure wet/too moist for this species...

They just burrow in the dirt after I shut off the lights

Completely normal...again, I would not allow the substrate to be cool and wet...this can prove bad for a tortoise and especially this species of tort....

Yes, the outside environment does play a roll in the activity level of a species of tortoise that has evolved to include brumation....no matter what folks will tell you, there are some species of tort that have the seed so deeply imbedded to brumate that no matter what you try to do to fool them, you will still have some that insist on slowing down....no matter what....

Pairs; now, I am not going to go to much into this--but this is essential, you need to understand and grasp that a pair of ANY species of tort is difficult to maintain in a healthy way---but there are some species that are especially impossible to do this with, Russians are generally one of those species,,,,tenacious, independent, aggressive, pushy, stubborn are all words that fit this species...nothing personal, just is. While you may not see outward signs of bullying, you are subjecting them to develop bullying by simply trying to keep a pair in the same space....now, some folks think that is not true---well, until they come home and find one tort has attacked the other and pieces/chunks are missing from one...but please understand that pairs are very hard to maintain...

torquendiesel

Here is a couple ill have to add more after work later

Another quick shot

Anything that does not look right to you guys I am willing to change and or get rid of right away!

Attachments

• 1396961180293.jpg
    1396961180293.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 1396961212567.jpg
    1396961212567.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 1396962616929.jpg
    1396962616929.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 40

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you using for heating and lighting?

What are your 4 temps? Warm side, cool side, basking and night?

Those clamps always fail eventually. Many times ending in disaster. You need to hang your light fixtures from overhead. THis will also allow you to adjust the height up or down to get the correct temperatures under them.

Except for the side with the lights. The whole enclosure looks very dark. Compare light levels in there now to outdoors even under a shady tree. Using a 48" florescent tube or two might help brighten it up for them.

To mirror what was already said above. Russians do not do well in pairs. Sexes don't matter, and it is just a question of time until blood is shed or one's health begins to suffer. They each need their own enclosure. Please don't wait until AFTER there is a problem. We have all seen this enough times to know how it will go.

It takes time for a new tortoise to settle in. You will likely see more activity as they settle in.

The problem with internet "research" is that anyone can type up anything at any time, and it just sits there on the internet whether its right or wrong. There is no way for a new person to know if the same old wrong info is simply being regurgitated, or if the writer actually has real life practical experience AND success. Here is some info for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

Hello and welcome to the forum.

torquendiesel

Ty tom I will look into another enclosure, And lighting ASAP! Any other insight is very welcome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know where you got your new guys, but they are often dehydrated when you get them. I would do shallow warm water soaks in a tall sided opaque tub every day ,or every other day, for at least a couple of weeks to make sure they are good and hydrated.

What is in all those light hoods? If you are using a coil type UV bulb it could be contributing to your problem. Those can burn their eyes and make them want to hide and be inactive. In your case, they may be "hiding" on the lit side because it is warmer, but they might be sitting still and keeping their eyes closed because it burns.

torquendiesel

I am using two 100watt heat lamps and a flourecent uvb bulb which is in the little dome and when I purchased the male from petco shortly after he wouldn't open his eyes so I went on here and saw he may be dehydrated so I soaked him everyday for a week some times multiple times a day. He is moving and eating regularly now with a lot less shedding I knocked the soaking down to every other day for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The florescent uvb bulb in the little dome is probably burning their eyes. You are already seeing the symptoms. I recommend you stop using it immediately.

Every other day soaks are fine for russians this size and will help to insure they are hydrated during this transitional time.

torquendiesel

I appreciate t I have turned off the uvb what would you recommend to replace it ? I am getting frustrated not with you but all the false information I have recieved seems Like a money scam half the time.. but as I said I am willing to do anything for these torts to be happy all the help is much appreciated

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Long tube style florescents bulbs, Mercury Vapor Bulbs, or the newly available "Solar Raptor" bulbs are the best we've got. My preference is to have a large outdoor pen and use it as often as possible during fair weather, so I don't need to rely on indoor UV. If your climate does not allow that for most of the year, then you will need to embark on a long expensive journey of discovering the joys and failures of today's current UV lighting options.

You will need a UV meter for this journey. I recommend the 6.5 model: http://www.solarmeter.com

Good luck!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
With the twin lighting fixture you could split the enclosure in half to separate the two torts should this become necessary.

You can also put in partial walls to provide sight blocks to give each tort more privacy. Just put in a perpendicular wall that's about 2 ft. long and attached to one of the sides. The more things you make them walk around the more exercise they will get; and the more complex the enclosure the more interesting to the torts. Place a food treat at each end of the enclosure to encourage them to explore.

A second story with a ramp is also a good way to provide exercise, additional space, and a hide under the ramp and under the 2nd story. Build the second story so that it can be lifted out for easy cleaning and easy modifications.

Good luck.

torquendiesel

Ty very much. I appreciate all the tips and help I have recieved so far.this app has made mine and the torts life a lot better. I will make all these changes. And update you both.