Russian tortoise getting to take a bath

Brett clark

My taurus each well is very active but just doesn't go to the water can you tell me or give me an idea of how I can entice him or her

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Do you mean he doesn't sit in her water dish? If he is eating, peeing and pooping, and active, he may just not feel the need to sit in there. He's from a very dry climate, not a lot of water access. My Russian has never once used the saucer we have for her in the yard.

If you want to make sure he's getting a chance to soak or drink, do ia soak first thing in the morning, before he gets warm and moving around. Put warm (but not hot) water into a container he can't see out of. Make sure the water doesn't come up past the line where the top and bottom shells meet and gently put him into it. Observe from a bit of distance (don't hover over him). In a few moments he should relax into the warm water.

My Russian rarely drinks even while soaking. Unless she's just come out of hibernation, about ten minutes in the tub is all she'll tolerate.

Hope that helps and Happy Birthday!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I find it easiest to do it first thing in the morning before a tort has warmed up properly. A warm bath is very attractive to a tort then.

Use a large high sided bowl with a flat bottom that your tort can't see over or through. A washing up bowl is ideal.

The water needs to be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron

Stomping round the bowl is good for encouraging poop so don't worry about it too much :)