Russian tortoise female, possibly gravid?

JennK

So, I have newly acquired two Russian tortoises, one male, one female. The previous owner purchased them from a petco I beleive and has housed them together ever since. My dilemma- the male is happily exploring his new surroundings and munching away at all the delicious food... The female is constantly, intently, digging. She has not eaten. She does not care. she hasn't soaked, or basked, she does not care. She has found a corner... And digs, and digs, and digs.... And oh wait- digs some more. She is definitely a female. 6". Of breeding size. The male is about 5"... Again if breeding size. And she's still digging! She's either sleeping or digging. Not even pacing, just digging. She knows she is at the bottom of the substrate. Yet, she's still digging. She's pregnant isn't she?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
If she is digging with her back legs, maybe. If she is digging with her front legs, no. She is stressed. They should not be in the same enclosure. She is trying to get away from the male.

JennK

The enclosure its self is 9 foot long 2 1/2 foot deep and has a 2 1/2 foot section that is 4' deep. In all, it measures 22 sq ft. It is an indoor enclosure, next to a window that I open on sunny days for natural sun light, on top of their UVB lights in which I do measure at floor level every week. They have multiple basking sites as well as feeding stations and share a pond in which is 18"x18"x3", after substrate the water is kept approximately 1" deep. The male does not seem to care about the female in any way at this point. There has been no interaction between them at all since I have had them. The spot in which she is digging is very well hidden by plants. So I cannot confirm if she is digging with he back feet, however when I do disturb her, it does appear that way.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If she is digging with her hind legs, I would get an xray. Egg bound is very serious, and can cause death.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I also would agree with separating them. Even though they might've lived together for an extended period of time, torts can change their mind on their tank mates, very easily.
Your enclosure is very big, but I don't think it's big enough for two Russians, especially a male and a female. The male will likely harass her to breed. You could always expand the enclosure even more and add a couple more females to even out the probable, eventual bullying.

Also, if your torts are now in a new enclosure, she could just be very stressed and attempting to get back to her old territory.

But I agree with getting an X-ray. She could very well be egg bound.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if she does have eggs she is more than likely egg bound because of her size. 6 inches is the absolute minimum for breeding size for female Russians I wouldn't breed a female until she's at least 8 inches.