Russian tortoise favorite food?

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
What's your Russian's favorite food? I'm wanting to pick up pansies today and I will get my testudo seed mix on Monday, what other foods do your Russians love? (I want to grow these in my indoor greenhouse, btw)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The Italian Dandelion mix from tortosieupply is delicious, and he likes chicory and clover from outside. He just 'tolerates' other weeds like mallow and plantain :cool::p

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Mine LOVES radicchio, pumpkin, squash, dandelion greens, cactus, & clover. She tolerates mallow, plantain, & mulberry leaves. Wont touch Mazuri...at all.

Magilla504

Haha, finally! Someone else that has torts that do not go crazy for mazuri. Mine scarf on weeds and greens. I have offered mazuri on occasion to see if they want the variety but they do not seem to be to fond of it

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My Russian eats Mazuri like its a chocolate delicacy. He would eat only that if I let him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine eat everything. They have only seen Mazuri twice in their whole lives, and they scarfed down every last bit of it and then licked the plate clean.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I have never fed Mazuri...can anyone explain why it's fed?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I'm trying pansies tonight! I got red colored as it seems he likes things that are that color more. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm trying pansies tonight! I got red colored as it seems he likes things that are that color more. ;)

Did you grow them yourself? If yes you are good to go.

Store bought pansies will be full of systemic pesticides.

Just making sure you know this. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have never said any pellet food at all so I don't really have much of an opinion on Mazuri. My dog and cats eat raw food so I figured my tortoise would too :) now if I could just get myself to eat that healthy, oh well. My Russian tortoise loves sedum plants. he will pass up any other food to eat them, even dandelion flowers.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412379839.975883.jpg

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Did you grow them yourself? If yes you are good to go.

Store bought pansies will be full of systemic pesticides.

Just making sure you know this. :)

I guess I got confused on information given to me at the time. You're right, he can't eat store bought ones. I have some seeds on hand that I'll start from scratch. I don't know what I was thinking, I'll plant those outside for looks instead ;) thanks Tom for the reminder.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never fed Mazuri...can anyone explain why it's fed?

They don't need Mazuri, but I do think it offers benefits.

It is a convenient food to have around when you run out of other stuff, especially for people who live in areas with frozen winters.

I also like it because it is a nutritionally complete diet formulated specifically for tortoises. I see it as a supplement to a good diet and a way to ensure that there are no missing trace elements or nutritional components in my tortoises diets. I think this is especially important for people who mostly rely on common grocery store greens. There can be nutritional deficiencies depending on the soil in which any greens are grown. Feeding some Mazuri once in a while is cheap insurance to make sure your tortoise is getting everything it needs.

Plus they really like it... :D

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I have never said any pellet food at all so I don't really have much of an opinion on Mazuri. My dog and cats eat raw food so I figured my tortoise would too :) now if I could just get myself to eat that healthy, oh well. My Russian tortoise loves sedum plants. he will pass up any other food to eat them, even dandelion flowers.View attachment 98597

Are sedum plants pretty hardy? Would they do good in fall weather in the north?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
They don't need Mazuri, but I do think it offers benefits.

It is a convenient food to have around when you run out of other stuff, especially for people who live in areas with frozen winters.

I also like it because it is a nutritionally complete diet formulated specifically for tortoises. I see it as a supplement to a good diet and a way to ensure that there are no missing trace elements or nutritional components in my tortoises diets. I think this is especially important for people who mostly rely on common grocery store greens. There can be nutritional deficiencies depending on the soil in which any greens are grown. Feeding some Mazuri once in a while is cheap insurance to make sure your tortoise is getting everything it needs.

Plus they really like it... :D

Great information!! I'll have to buy some of that from tortoise supply. I live in a frozen area where weather is unpredictable! LOL

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are sedum plants pretty hardy? Would they do good in fall weather in the north?
They are very hardy yes. They last at least through October here in Washington state and maybe even longer. they do have a lot of water content so don't overfeed or your tortoise might get diarrhea, mine hasn't but I have read that it is a possibility.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are very hardy yes. They last at least through October here in Washington state and maybe even longer. they do have a lot of water content so don't overfeed or your tortoise might get diarrhea, mine hasn't but I have read that it is a possibility.

Have you got a latin name? There are sooooo many types of sedum...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I used to know the name but I'm spacing it right now. @yvonne told me what it was and I still can't remember, Friday afternoon burnt out I guess. I will research it and find out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are all types of sedums safe?

No. I looked into this because "sedum" is listed as a food for wild tortoises. We have several types available here, but all of them were listed as toxic. The only one I can remember off hand was "brown bean" sedum. There were hundreds of plants in the "sedum" family when I looked this up last. I eventually gave up trying to figure out which ones were okay and which ones weren't.