Russian tortoise behavior..

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I keep a group of Russian tortoises 2 males 5 females.. The pen measures 5x25 lots of plantings.. The hide is 24" x30" and kept at a steady 77*.. Outside temp here now is 70day average and 50 night.. The issue I'm having is that only one or two exit the hide every morning to eat he rest prefer to stay buried in the hide..would this be considered normal for this time of year?...thanks in advance

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
I keep a group of Russian tortoises 2 males 5 females.. The pen measures 5x25 lots of plantings.. The hide is 24" x30" and kept at a steady 77*.. Outside temp here now is 70day average and 50 night.. The issue I'm having is that only one or two exit the hide every morning to eat he rest prefer to stay buried in the hide..would this be considered normal for this time of year?...thanks in advance
Did they hibernated this year? If not maybe they are trying to but the temps in their hide are still to high for them to sleep and not eat all the time. .. and probably without any basking lightning to low to be active. They know its not their time of the year :) Either keep them warm and active or hibernate them properly. For now it's too late to hibernate them this year. I would suggest going in and scooping whole bunch into a warm enclosure with temps boosted to make them active and eating again. They will be sluggish but that is normal. Next year if they are healthy fridge hibernate them for colder months ;)
Good luck :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have a similar situation. I put a light in the hide to raise the temp significantly during the day. I feed them in the box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds pretty normal. Even with warm temps, their little minds are still strongly influenced by day/night cycles. We are still having relatively short days, even thought they are gradually getting longer.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Did they hibernated this year? If not maybe they are trying to but the temps in their hide are still to high for them to sleep and not eat all the time. .. and probably without any basking lightning to low to be active. They know its not their time of the year :) Either keep them warm and active or hibernate them properly. For now it's too late to hibernate them this year. I would suggest going in and scooping whole bunch into a warm enclosure with temps boosted to make them active and eating again. They will be sluggish but that is normal. Next year if they are healthy fridge hibernate them for colder months ;)
Good luck :)

I don't know there history.. Three were found on a property I purchased 4 were purchased from a vender.. It appears that two of the ones found here are the ones coming out and eating.. The other 5 just stay inside the hide if I pull them out and place them in front of the food..they eat an head right back into the hide..

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Sounds pretty normal. Even with warm temps, their little minds are still strongly influenced by day/night cycles. We are still having relatively short days, even thought they are gradually getting longer.

Tom..I thought about the light cycle.. But wonder how they even know the sun is out considering there all dug in.. Some 4-5" down in the dirt in the hide which is dark to begin with..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom..I thought about the light cycle.. But wonder how they even know the sun is out considering there all dug in.. Some 4-5" down in the dirt in the hide which is dark to begin with..

They just "know".

Years ago I bought some Tegus from the late great Bert Langerwurf. He told me they would go down Mid-September and come back up In April. I was skeptical. Sure enough, year after year, those Tegus would would go down heir hole Sept. 15th, and I would not see them above ground again until April. Didn't matter what the weather was doing. Could be hot in Sept. or cold in April. They didn't change their timing ever.

Kasia

Poland
I don't know there history.. Three were found on a property I purchased 4 were purchased from a vender.. It appears that two of the ones found here are the ones coming out and eating.. The other 5 just stay inside the hide if I pull them out and place them in front of the food..they eat an head right back into the hide..

Hahaha, lil' monkeys are afraid to get their butts cold :).