Russian tortious male and Hermann female can they live together

Carley

I have a Russian tortious his name is reznov I would like two get a second ik the males fight an if I get a female he would just rape her an I have no clue to take care of eggs/ baby's so I was thinking of geting a hermann female and I have a pretty big enclosure I would be putting them on either side haveing there own house own lamp own water dishes own food bowls own rocks an own plants would this still be a bad idea I have like a hauge metal pool for him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Species should never be mixed, and tortoise should not be kept in pairs.

If you want a second tortoise, and c'mon, who doesn't, get a second enclosure.

Carley

WhAt if I get a female Russian would he just try to have sex with her all the time is there like a certain time of year where he would only try or just period its not a good at all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
WhAt if I get a female Russian would he just try to have sex with her all the time is there like a certain time of year where he would only try or just period its not a good at all

Yes. He would probably harass her constantly, or in some cases, the female will turn around and beat up the male. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. You could try a group with one male and several females in a very large enclosure, but it doesn't always work even then.

No way around it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You would still need a second enclosure, pairs aren't good period. The first rule of thumb is you couldn't mix them for a year anyway because of Quarantine so there is the second enclosure needed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians aggressively defend their territory regardless of gender and age/size.

They don't do well as pairs. Two Russians = Two Enclosures.

Groups of 3 or more may succeed in a very large enclosure - 8'x4' per tortoise minimum - with plenty of sight barriers. However, there are no guarantees and you should only keep as many as you have space for individually.

In any case any new tort must be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least six months to ensure that no one tort makes another sick.

See this Why not to keep 2 tortoises together - A lesson learned the hard way

Hermann's are less aggressive, but still don't do well as pairs. All the Testudo are solitary species that see other torts as competition for food and space. They don't get lonely and don't need or want 'a friend'