Russian Tort Travel

Hi everyone! I have an adult male Russian tortoise and I'm going to Maryland this weekend and I live in New York. That's about a 4 hour drive. I want to take him but not risking his health or safety. What can I take him in? I have a container but I can't let him stay in there for 3 days. Please quick replies. I'm leaving in 4 days

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Best to leave him home. Lights should be on timers, and hopefully someone you know can come check on him daily to make sure his bulb is not burned out and that he's right side up.

Soak him the day you leave and the day you get back, but dump his water and leave him without any water for the four days you are gone. This way he won't "soil" the water and then try to drink it two days later.

Go to an ethnic store (Mexican store) near you and get a "nopales" pad. Its spineless opuntia. That will give him something to eat while you are gone and it won't spoil.

My mom told me that she a a pretty big box and we are going to put him in it along with some of his bedding. I'm going to feed him as usual (2x a day). I'm going to put him by the window for a natural sunlight. This is okay right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My mom told me that she a a pretty big box and we are going to put him in it along with some of his bedding. I'm going to feed him as usual (2x a day). I'm going to put him by the window for a natural sunlight. This is okay right?

No. In my opinion, its not okay. Transporting a tortoise across the country is very stressful on them. Doing it with no way to insure proper temperatures and in a little box is not a good thing for the tortoise.

Your tortoise should stay home in its properly set up enclosure with its heat lamp and familiar surroundings.

HuskyDaneMom

Cruz just took a road trip from NJ to IL and back. I used a big Tote with bedding on the bottom. We took a light fixtuure and used a basking bulb during the day and a CHE at night. I also had him out in the sun when possible.

We provided a hide as well. During the travel times we didn't have water in there but did the rest of the visit. He got Fred 2 times a day.

He did fine. If the tortoise is healthy, kept warm and hydrated I don't see the problem. If he was a tort that seems to stress easily I wouldn't have done it but he was pretty unfazed. Ate normally, moved around a lot on the non-travel days.

We didn't have anyone we trusted to care for him so this was our best option and it worked out fine.

We also brought our temp gun so we could make sure he wasn't too hot or too cold.

Some torts may have been quite stressed, but mine did just fine.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
How long did you say you would be gone? As long as your lights are on timers a tortoise would be fine for a few days with no food or water. What size is the tortoise? I have a russian tortoise who ended up having worms but she didnt eat for about two weeks. Shes quite fine today.
In the wild a tortoise would have to go days sometimes if no proper food could be scavenged . Having your lights on proper timers would be your best bet. And removing any water dish or food dish, or anything they could flip themselves over on.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
For 3-4 days, do as Tom says. Leave him at home. If nobody can pop in to check for flipping then leave the lights off. It won't matter for such a short period as long as it's not a regular occurrence.

Southeast USA
@RussianTortKing
If you are still paranoid, making a DIY feeder can help. You can make it out of a box or plastic. Preferably wood/plastic or stone. Just make a small box with a hole on the bottom and then somehow put or stick that above or next to the food dish. Fill it up with food, so the more he eats, the more food comes down. Terrible narration, I know but you should get the general idea.