Russian tort eye issues

annster

5 Year Member
Had some issues in the past with him looking as if his eyes were in pain, closing them all time. They've been okay for a while after I got rid of the curly light bulb. But, today his eyes randomly were really wet but there's no water and he closed them again for about ten seconds.Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm scared.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How often do you soak? Maybe give him a nice warm soak, and carefully and lightly let some of the water flow over his face and eyes. Maybe he just has some dust/dirt in it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Russians don't need high humidity, but they need substrate with moisture in it. The under layers should be moist. I also pour in some water every few days around the basking/hot area. Dusty substrate can be irritating.

If he gets a varied diet of weeds, and a good herbivore supplement at times, then hopefully it isn't vitamin A deficiency.

Definitely soak him daily for a few days, just in case.
You can dribble some artificial tears (plain, no medication added) into his eyes too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Had some issues in the past with him looking as if his eyes were in pain, closing them all time. They've been okay for a while after I got rid of the curly light bulb. But, today his eyes randomly were really wet but there's no water and he closed them again for about ten seconds.Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm scared.

Also, remember that this is a tortoise...so if the tort sustained damage to the eyes as a result of the coil bulb...it will take some time for the delicate eyeballs to heal over.....and lynnedit has some good information shared....