Russian tort always closing eyes

annster

5 Year Member
Seriously all the time... It almost looks painful... The eyes look fine but there's a TINY bit of discharge inside the eyelid. It almost seems as if she's got eye damage or something.

Location (City and/or State)
Wilkes Barre PA
Hey annster. I just got my Russian a few days ago. Through the hundreds of pages I've read through I seen a article about Russians that always seem to have their eyes closed is due to not enough humidity in their atsmophere .. I could be wrong. Like I said. I'm still new to torts myself. But I just wanted to pass on some of the stuff I read. Check it out. I'm sorry I can't pass along the link because I read page after page. But can't hurt to look. Good luck!

Wilkes Barre PA
Lismar.. I'm still a new tort owner too. I don't use coil heat lights but I have a coil uva/b bulb. Will that effect my tort?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Lismar.. I'm still a new tort owner too. I don't use coil heat lights but I have a coil uva/b bulb. Will that effect my tort?

Yes, if it is the style in that link, it will most likely cause ill effects. There are several posts here on the forum about them. I have never used because of what others have said. Its too big of a risk. Get rid of it please!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There are no coil heat lights. Its the coil type UV lights that sometimes burn tortoise eyes.

Annster, If you do have that type of bulb PLEASE hang on to it. I will buy it from you and pay full shipping to get it to another member who works in a lab and wants to test it. We see problems with these bulbs sometimes and there is no large, well funded entity that has any interest in studying them, so we are trying to discover the problem ourselves. IF this is your issue, you could be a big help.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yeah the bulb could be the problem, my Nank never seemed bothered by it but after hearing about the problems that people had, while its not completely proven I still decided when it was time for a new bulb to bo for the MVB... I also figure florescent bulbs hurt my eyes and I try to avoid them as much as I can... so why should I subject him to that when he can't escape.
If you switch the bulbs out and his eyes still close a lot it may be time to check with a vet just to be safe. What substrate do you have? Could it be getting in the eyes?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
My tortoise had "swollen" eyes when my bulb wattage was too high. (I'm assuming) I soaked him in baby carrot food mixed with warm water for 3 days and his eyes went back to how they should be. Not sure if this could be your issue as well.