Russian Rescue

Warhawk

I found a Russian Tortoise on craigslist last week so called the guy and picked him up. I got him over the weekend and he is doing pretty good. He is 5 years old so still pretty young for a tortoise and looks to be in good health. His setup wasn't the best but I'm fixing that. He was in a 20g long tank, cedar shavings, under tank heater, no lights at all, and no food or water bowls.

The family talked about it and named him Ivan, I will post some photos up once I have sometime to take them later today.

I allowed him to crawl around in the back yard for a few hours over the weekend. Did that for exercise, allow him to eat grass, and soak in some good sunlight. I then soaked him for 10 mins in a warm bath, I think he enjoyed that a lot. He is eating greens and Zoo Med food really well. I did dust his food but I'm going to take it easy with the vitamins and calcium because I don't want to over do it, would rather slowly adjust him to all that good stuff he needs.

Right now he still is in the 20g tank but I'm building a tortoise table this week so he will be getting a upgrade very soon. I was going to build it next month but plans changed and I need it sooner.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Congratulations on the new addition :)

Time for the Russian Care Sheet
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Diet is leafy green weeds - same as the Greek you have. They shouldn't meet by the way. Keep them separate at all times :)

Step up the security for the Russian. They are climbers and diggers and escape-artists-extraordinary!

Warhawk

Thanks for the care sheet always good to see those.

From what I have read so far both will be pretty much eating the same stuff. I have heard that romaine lettuce, collard greens and other stuff made for us humans will do fine for these guys but also have a lot more nutrients than the grass and weeds they normally would get. While the weather is good I will be taking both outside to get grass 3-4 times a week. I'm finishing a tortoise tractor tonight so they can stay outside and be safer.

And yes each is getting his own enclosure so they won't be together. I read they dig a lot so going to go a little deeper with the substrate with the new setups.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A better idea (than the tort table) would be to build him a safe and escape-proof outdoor habitat. Russian tortoises are much better off when set up outside.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Thanks for the care sheet always good to see those.

From what I have read so far both will be pretty much eating the same stuff. I have heard that romaine lettuce, collard greens and other stuff made for us humans will do fine for these guys but also have a lot more nutrients than the grass and weeds they normally would get. While the weather is good I will be taking both outside to get grass 3-4 times a week. I'm finishing a tortoise tractor tonight so they can stay outside and be safer.

And yes each is getting his own enclosure so they won't be together. I read they dig a lot so going to go a little deeper with the substrate with the new setups.
Variety is key to getting tortoises the needed nutrients. So different kinds of safe weeds and plants/flowers will work. Though adding store bought greens when weeds arent available is okay. And Russians dont really eat grass. They'll nibble on it and chew some stalks but they dont seek them out to eat as a diet.

Reactions: Tom

Warhawk

A better idea (than the tort table) would be to build him a safe and escape-proof outdoor habitat. Russian tortoises are much better off when set up outside.

I would like to do a outside setup but here in Indiana it gets below 0 so to cold for these guys to stay outside. I don't mind keeping them out side in the spring and summer but can't do it year round.

Variety is key to getting tortoises the needed nutrients. So different kinds of safe weeds and plants/flowers will work. Though adding store bought greens when weeds arent available is okay. And Russians dont really eat grass. They'll nibble on it and chew some stalks but they dont seek them out to eat as a diet.

Yeah going to keep mixing it up. I have thought about planting some weeds in the table once I have it finished for him to eat one.

A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Thank you.

Got a question for everyone also. I have seen some small cactus like plants at different petstores that say they are for reptiles anyone keep those with their tortoises? They don't really have names just says reptile safe.

Warhawk

Here are a few photos of the new guy in his new tortoise tractor.

Attachments

• 20160523_175315_resized.jpg
    20160523_175315_resized.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20160523_175310_resized.jpg
    20160523_175310_resized.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20160523_175307_resized.jpg
    20160523_175307_resized.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 22